New to Renaults and fwd in general

MattP

Paid Member
Evening!

Just thought I should introduce myself - I would have earlier but I've been too busy driving everywhere like I'm 17 again!

Long story short - I have always been a BM man and having run beemer since my first e30 at 17, I have been running an M5 Touring as a daily for the last couple of years all 500bhp+ and 11mpg of it!

8.jpg

I also own a 1985 944 with my dad and having just finished our garage he offered to buy out half the M5 if I put it away with the porker and bought something sensible for the daily commute!

So what to buy? I new I wanted something different to the other two and something I could chase my mates Mini GP2 in - it always amazed me how much quicker he could push on when driving windy A and B roads than I could in the M5.

So FWD, relatively light and above all else fun. I thought about a 106 or 306 rallye but the right cars have already been bought or are stupid money. I nearly bought a Lupo Gti but when I went to see one it was just hilariously small! For a while it was going to be a Integra Type R and then I bought Modern Classics Mag in August and it was running a brilliant feature on the 172-200 family.

I went to see one and broke the golden rule by committing to it after around 3 corners of the test drive! It helped that the 3/4 syncros were clearly gone and a full refurb was thrown in with asking price.

So its a 200 with cup chassis, recaros, full akrapovic evo and the drivers seat lowered! 65k miles and lots of nice history.

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

Total revelation - the grip, the noise, the shear fun to be had in every corner is addictive! Been out on some brilliant early morning runs and it is just addictive!

Favourite bits so far:
- the endless endless grip
- the pops and bangs of the Akrapovic when chasing the red line
- the recaros
- did I mention the grip................

Bad bits:
- the radio!
- the slight suspicion that any electric part might give up on me at any moment!

Anywho - I'm rambling......

So in short Clio 200 cup is awesome! Looking forward to finding out more about them and learning to drive it properly. Maybe some coilovers at some point etc..........

2.jpg

Welcome! You'll find plenty of BMW love on here! However I am glad you're enjoying the Clio! They're truly fun machines aren't they?! Not the fastest in a straight line, but come to the corners...! Enjoy!

Fantastic 'daily' to have - looks great. Welcome to the forum, glad you're happy with it so soon, sounds like you're driving it the right way! :tongueout:

Welcome! They're fantastic cars aren't they?! Love seeing people's enthusiasm for them when they get one.... Really get under your skin!

Thanks! Under the skin is definitely the best way to put it.

So far today it has genuinely made me laugh out load twice already!

Cracking introduction and as above, great to see that you're so happy with the car. The sound will definitely be epic with the Akra, you've been spoilt there :smile:

The electrics really aren't as bad as you may think - possibly the keyless door lock buttons can be problematic and the fan speed selector, but other than that, not too shabby! Certainly nothing to worry about though!

Reactions: MattP