New to the 197 game. Not had the best start!

Evening all. 3 weeks ago I purchased my 06 197 with more service history than I’ve ever seen! Its had a remap, full miltek exhaust system with decat, polybushed, braided hoses, ITG panel filter etc etc. It’s been religiously serviced at 6-8k intervals with k-tec racing which really helped me make my mind up to buy it. Unfortunately on the second day of ownership a bearing let go in the gearbox and completely trashed it! It’s now back on the road with a new box and clutch. I’ve had the wheels powder coated gloss black and about to have the door handles and side billets gloss black as well but quite fancy a roof spoiler. Any thoughts?

Welcome aboard and in your own thread :wink:

Seems like she’s had plenty of mods to her all which sound good, shame that the gearbox went pop.

Get some pics up :french:

Reactions: Pav
Thanks Pav. Yeah it’s really tidy and clearly been looked after! Got a small amount of wear on drivers seat but other than that it’s pretty much spotless for a 12 year old car.

Thanks beany I really like it so far apart from the gearbox issue but now that’s been replaced it’s brilliant. I’ll get some more pics after the weekend once the calipers have been refurbished and the other bits have been gloss blacked. Thinking of going black on the calipers with white brembo decals?

Evening all. 3 weeks ago I purchased my 06 197 with more service history than I’ve ever seen! Its had a remap, full miltek exhaust system with decat, polybushed, braided hoses, ITG panel filter etc etc. It’s been religiously serviced at 6-8k intervals with k-tec racing which really helped me make my mind up to buy it. Unfortunately on the second day of ownership a bearing let go in the gearbox and completely trashed it! It’s now back on the road with a new box and clutch. I’ve had the wheels powder coated gloss black and about to have the door handles and side billets gloss black as well but quite fancy a roof spoiler. Any thoughts?
Welcome to the 197 crew, sounds like you got a great car albeit that the gearbox went, just unlucky there I reckon. Glad to hear it's sorted now though.
Hope you get plenty years of fun from her.

Reactions: redwestie69
Thanks beany I really like it so far apart from the gearbox issue but now that’s been replaced it’s brilliant. I’ll get some more pics after the weekend once the calipers have been refurbished and the other bits have been gloss blacked. Thinking of going black on the calipers with white brembo decals?

Welcome along for a start mate. I too had gearbox issues from the start, only a crunch but still - annoying nonetheless. The good thing is that you won't have to worry about it for a while now! Regular box oil changes and it'll be spot on - personally use Elf NFP but others have different preferences.

Big fan of black calipers. Red decals but you get the idea >>>> http://www.clio197.net/threads/bennos-ur197-challenge-accepted.56419/page-7#post-667771

I've been struggling for AGES to decide on a spoiler. Take a look at @Big Ben's Sprint spoiler on the same colour, I'm a fan on the blue. Can't decide on mine though.

Wheels look tidy, always considered refurbing my standard wheels but then I got the itch for buying more.

Reactions: Pav
Thanks for the welcome guys. Benno your calipers look very nice like them a lot! CJ197 yes the colour really sold the car for me but personally I’m liking the full range of the 197/200’s colours they’re such nice looking cats and glad I put the time and money in to get mine back on the road. Looked at a few roof spoilers but not really made my mind up yet. I’ve trued to look at a few links for taking the door handles off tomorrow to get them to the paint shop but for some reason I can’t open the links?

Reactions: Benno
welcome :french: Black handles would look great, as would some carbon bullets and diamonds. I'd look into sorting the suspension too, with some springs or some coilovers.

Sounds like nothing more than unfortunate timing with the box but at least know you've the peace of mind it's sorted now. Personal preference would be red or silver calipers, black calipers behind black wheels I think would feel too hidden - show those Brembo's off!

welcome :french: Black handles would look great, as would some carbon bullets and diamonds. I'd look into sorting the suspension too, with some springs or some coilovers.
Morning Sean. I’ve got some H&R springs coming today hopefully. Looking forward to having the handles etc black, looked in to the carbon bits as well but I wasn’t 100% on them! The paint shop are going to paint the side bullets and sand back over the writing so the Renault sport shows back through before laquering them which hopefully will look good and a fraction of the price of the carbon ones. Looking at some wheel spacers as well to widen the back end once lowered to fill the arches a bit.

Reactions: Sean197
Sounds like nothing more than unfortunate timing with the box but at least know you've the peace of mind it's sorted now. Personal preference would be red or silver calipers, black calipers behind black wheels I think would feel too hidden - show those Brembo's off!
Yeah I know what you mean. They’re yellow at the mo which look good to be fair but they’ve been done to an appalling standard hence why I’m having them redone properly.

Thanks for the welcome guys. Benno your calipers look very nice like them a lot! CJ197 yes the colour really sold the car for me but personally I’m liking the full range of the 197/200’s colours they’re such nice looking cats and glad I put the time and money in to get mine back on the road. Looked at a few roof spoilers but not really made my mind up yet. I’ve trued to look at a few links for taking the door handles off tomorrow to get them to the paint shop but for some reason I can’t open the links?

To get into the How To section plus loads more you need to sign up as a paid member! Just £5 and my word it’s worth it!

Reactions: redwestie69
Welcome aboard...same about your bad start to ownership don't worry you'll hopefully be able to see the good side of owning a 197
:blackdiamond::kilt:

Welcome to the deep pocket club. :drunk:

As for the calipers, i'm looking at doing yellow behind black wheels. Seen a few like this on FB and looks nice, especially against the Blue.:thumb:

Welcome to the deep pocket club. :drunk:

As for the calipers, i'm looking at doing yellow behind black wheels. Seen a few like this on FB and looks nice, especially against the Blue.:thumb:
I’m defo leaning more towards keeping them yellow now but will have to strip the fronts as it looks like they’ve been painted with a yard broom haha! I’ve only got black brembo graphics to go on them or white ones if they were going black