Newbie with a 197 cup that will be a meglio

Hi,
New here but by no means new to the car scene.
Picked up a 197 cup last week that I plan to go meg route in for my next track car.

I imagine I'm probably a bit older than most of you here but I think I can learn a lot regarding the 197 etc here.

Current fleet, 2013 M3 V8 (almost daily), 2015 330d msport (wifeys car), 1964 morris minor pickup that's a big build and turbo'd (show car), 2004 172 (Track car - will be selling at some point), and the 197 cup I've just bought to replace the 172 once meganed.

A few of the old fleet.
4 x r33 skyline's
1 x r34 skyline
1 x evo - HATED IT
2 x impreza (one sti 6 one sti 7)
1 x galant super vr4
3 x e36's (323, 325, m3 evo)
2 x e46 (323, 325)
1 x e90 320d - daily
1 x f30 320d - daily

Quite a list! very happy with my e92 m3 V8, the moggy, and the current f30 330d. They wont be going anywhere. loved my 172 but it has nothing left to give on track hence I have opted for the 197 and going meg route. Hope I don't regret it!!!

Thank you. first thing first. how do I get in for sale section? this 197 has an exhaust I presume is made of scaffolding tubes. lol. bloody horrific noise. if anyone has a stock zorst or an aftermarket half decent one let me know lol.

Some crazy cars there! Interesting to see your thoughts on the evo too! To see the for sale section it's a £5 membership, you see all the how to's etc. on here too though! Well worth in my opinion. Lots of really useful things on this forum.

Thanks Lewis. yup absolutely hated it. just felt like it was going to break every time I looked at it. My Impreza's were a far better car... not many Evo owners past or current will admit that!

Just paid the 6 quid. thanks.
Admin should make it more obvious how to pay. Took a while to locate.

Reactions: lewishunter98
Welcome aboard. Like a man with a plan!
Plenty of Middle aged and above in here so you’re in good company.
A few boosted cars as well

Welcome your man.I class you as a teenager, as I am 78 years old!.I had,among many others, A FQ400, running 636bhp. I am now running a meg Clio 197,with 320/340, and I much prefer the Clio, as, for me, it makes a great shopping/track car. The only thing that might tempt me away from it, would be something like a Meg Twingo.I will be doing a few track days next year,Spa included, so would be nice to catch up, and swap Evo problems!.

Reactions: Mark_L
Welcome in youngster! (I'm 58) Good list of cars. Hope you put up a progress thread.

Reactions: Mark_L
Thank you all very much. Seems like a friendly enough place and great to see so many older guys too.

I’m not overwhelmed by the 197 so far. Handling is fine but power is a bit meh. I don’t think it’s any quicker than my 172 at all. Not a lover of the gearbox. Suspect I’ll go r26 box.

Nice car to look at though.
I’ll figure out how to get pics up and post a few of past and present fleet.

I’ll also be really interested in seeing any meg builds you guys have done. Feel free to send me links.

Thanks
Mark

Hi Mark, welcome to the forum! Awesome list of cars, you know a driver's car when you see one!

Apologies if it was a little tricky to find the details of memberships. We don't go overboard with trying to get/push people to sign up as paid members, we aren't that sort of forum, but we do appreciate you taking the time to join and also for your feedback.

hi Mark..glad to have you on board..looks like you know your stuff...enjoy your stay :french:

cheers guys. I work in IT but passion is definitely the motors. I find playing with spanners therapeutic when it goes right. Got a couple of really good mates that are fantastic mechanics too so all being well and when time allows this should progress with relative simplicity. It's been done many times by others so I see no reason it can't be done by us.

Biggest issue I see at present is I have a Cup so not a card and push button car. I'm sure there must be a way around it by ECU unlocking or something but I'll take the experts up on that bit.

Reactions: lewishunter98
Welcome your man.I class you as a teenager, as I am 78 years old!.I had,among many others, A FQ400, running 636bhp. I am now running a meg Clio 197,with 320/340, and I much prefer the Clio, as, for me, it makes a great shopping/track car. The only thing that might tempt me away from it, would be something like a Meg Twingo.I will be doing a few track days next year,Spa included, so would be nice to catch up, and swap Evo problems!.

YoungArthur - you sir are my hero and I’d love to meet you one day!

Reactions: Mark_L and Big Ben
cheers guys. I work in IT but passion is definitely the motors. I find playing with spanners therapeutic when it goes right. Got a couple of really good mates that are fantastic mechanics too so all being well and when time allows this should progress with relative simplicity. It's been done many times by others so I see no reason it can't be done by us.

Biggest issue I see at present is I have a Cup so not a card and push button car. I'm sure there must be a way around it by ECU unlocking or something but I'll take the experts up on that bit.

I've turbo'd my cup this year, did it all myself.

No issue's at all. Any info you need just ask.

It's good forum, plenty of help and info, met some great people too. I'm a similar age at 40!

Last edited: