Noise/rattle after gearbox replacement

Discussion in 'Clio 197 Area' started by majki, Oct 11, 2018.

1. majki

majki Paid Member

Car:
    CS197 - Rouge
    Hi,

few days ago I have had a gearbox replacemenet.
    The mechanic moved my gearbox(TL028) inner parts to a second gearbox housing (TL032) and by that only the main bearing and seal of the gearbox were new replaced.
    The problem I am refering to is the noise/rattle appearing at 3k rpm just a bit (just quite), but then tops loud at 6k rpm. When moving, the sound is very very quite, but when lifiting the throttle it's horrible.
    Only if clutch is depressed is the sound appearing.
    I checked several topics but none of them have any videos anymore of the sounds they have had, so that doesn't help.

The gearchanging is butter smooth, new oil, syncrhos are in very good shape.

Mainly, I would say that the sound is comming from the mid of the engine towards right.
    Videos:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qJIqEkDHmjZa51etpHuGXK6L0LS631pb/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dWaXxLGtNCGKQbAxadZYyeMA3VxFYlnB/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/15qcsld_QUY527inooiYMVaVdB-JCLlFE/view?usp=sharing

Thanks!

2. Dumdum

Dumdum Gold Member

Car:
    Renault Clio RS200 CUP/fiat ducato campervan
    Try playing with the throttle on load so accelerate in third to say 4K revs and let off, of the noise goes as your throttle matches your revs it’s a bearing in the box, possibly the diff (we used to get it a lot on tu boxes)

Although it also possible from your first video that it’s the exhaust rattling...

You also say that only if the clutch is depressed is the noise appearing? Do you mean with the clutch pedal all the way to the floor it makes a noise and normal driving no noise?

Either way I’d be taking it back to mr mechanic if it didn’t do it before...

3. majki

majki Paid Member

Car:
    CS197 - Rouge
    Well, when driving and the clutch pedal is all the way to the floor the sound is not there.
    So when driving or the clutch is depressedwhen standstill -pedal up , the noise is there.

The mechanic did this type of gearbox for the first time.

4. Dumdum

Dumdum Gold Member

Car:
    Sounds like the input shaft bearing
    id edit your first post to read ‘if the pedal is depressed the noise is disappearing’ It reads the other way round as it’s written now...

5. majki

majki Paid Member

Car:
    CS197 - Rouge
    Ok...is there any way to tell which bearing is dead? It would be then quite expensive to replace all the bearings in manner to solve one bearing issue...

6. majki

majki Paid Member

Car:
    CS197 - Rouge
    Any further suggestions? I read that some AC pipes can rattle, but I havent understood on which part/where that occurs.

7. Foxspeed

Foxspeed "the new red baron" Moderator

Car:
    ford mustang shadow gt v8
    if inner parts have been swapped between casing then its possible the end float/pre-load will have changed for the bearings & hence noises

8. majki

majki Paid Member

Car:
    CS197 - Rouge
    Ok, good to know...but how to solve it if that's the case, if there is one ?

9. Dumdum

Dumdum Gold Member

Car:
    Remove and Strip the box and adjust end float with correct shims to suit, either way it needs to come out again...

10. majki

majki Paid Member

Car:
    CS197 - Rouge
    I have visited the mechanic and he agreed to take apart the gearbox and to re-check everything.
    He also pointed out that there is no shimming with this gearbox, but only joining the gear sets onto the main gearbox shaft and that's it. Is that possible?

What he has done is, he took the gearbox housing from a TL032, then onto the main shaft (green) mounted the TL028 every single piece. Also, the diff is the TL028.
    I suppose that as those are not 100% same gearboxes so something has to be adjusted with shims.

Also, I haven't written what has been the problem with the old box. The flywheel bolts broke, and it hit the box housing and shattered it, so cracks were quite big, gearbox shaft broke, oil everywhere. Also, the clutch was in a thousand pieces.
    The previous owner messed something quite and it got me.

upload_2018-10-13_11-32-38.png