OAP Clio 200

I decided on eibach springs in the end, got them for about £145 new so cheaper than 2 new cup springs. My father-in-law and I installed the rear springs in about 2 hours, but it was simple enough I reckon we could do it a lot quicker. The front springs on the other hand took way too much time and I never want to touch them ever again. The main pain points were removing the strut pinch bolts and then removing and reinstalling the struts. We used some questionable methods that I won't brag about on the internet. It definitely sits a lot better now on eibachs.

tHRCipa.jpg
SJkV6Zr.jpg

This morning I removed the crappy aftermarket front parking sensors, put new non-branded number plates on, and removed the CLIO badging and gave it a good clean.

YVDYY80.jpg
2ZrKznu.jpg
fGuvzfp.jpg

Reactions: Sean197 and Big Ben
I've been meaning to post some updates as I've gone along, but I'll do it all in one! Sorry for all the pics.

Installed a scorpion catback before Christmas. It was a pretty straightforward install, hardest part was getting the old exhaust off the mounts! I'm 50/50 on the exhaust, at low speeds I think it sounds fantastic and (afaik) not too over the top. On the motorway the drone is almost unbearable, luckily I don't spend much time on it! I also bought a scorpion decat pipe off a mate, but I might not fit it in the end - flat spot is bad enough as it is. Love the little burbles on overrun and little pops when cold.

IMG_20181121_152638.jpg

IMG_20181216_184146.jpg

Next I changed the front brake discs as they were looking pretty worn out. Went for the standard Brembo HCs and Brembo pads since it's only a road going car. What a job that was to get the pins out. Took about 5 hours in total to bash them out. The calipers were already a bit of a mess around the pins from whoever did it last, but I've now contributed to it! Ended up having to cut some the last couple of pins in the centre and bash them outwards. It was cold, wet and dark when I was doing this so I didn't particularly enjoy it Brakes feel a lot better now so I'm glad I did it.

Fitted new torque arm bushing, lots of lovely vibrations - still not settled!

Wife contributed some money towards a steering wheel retrim at christmas and around January time we travelled down to Jack at RoyalSteeringWheels. Very pleased with the result, Alcantara top and bottoms, perforated leather sides with yellow stitching. He also sent me a gear gaitor which I've finally got round to fitting today.

Also wrapped the silver strips in some carbon fibre look vinyl, turned out quite well and I think it's a subtle touch.

IMG_20190302_133959.jpg

IMG_20190125_143750.jpg IMG_20181225_094641.jpg

Also got myself a cheap ebay foam lance so treated the Clio its first wash since late last year, a couple of weeks ago. Really need to get a clay bar on it, as it's got tiny white spots all over it, like someone painted a ceiling above it! Was like that when I bought it though. Cleaned the grey bits on the seats as well as had a go at the seatbelts, but tbh could do with another soak. Also trying out black diamonds, and quite like the stealth look of the car now.

IMG_20181229_103653.jpg IMG_20181229_114034.jpg IMG_20181229_114525.jpg IMG_20181230_120745.jpg IMG_20190216_134851.jpg IMG_20190216_132113.jpg IMG_20190216_132122.jpg IMG_20190216_134855.jpg IMG_20190216_134906.jpg
IMG_20190216_120041.jpg

I've bought some 19mm spacers from a member on here, and some extended bolts, but I've not fitted them yet, should probably get the ball joints sorted first. I love the car, but I'm not sure how long I can justify keeping it for - we have three cars including a '10 Grand Vitara that we share for winter/dog/stable duties, but I have an itch to get a new car and I'm considering trading that and the Clio in for something a bit more practical and sensible like a B8 S4 Avant, I really miss the torque on my old car!

I forgot to mention, a very French car thing happened to me. I went to our local park run in the Clio. In the car park I wound down my passenger window to speak to my brother in his van. I said I'd have to find somewhere else to park and drove away. Went to wind the window back up and it wouldn't move.

Tried all sorts, slamming the door, turning the car off for a while, but decided I couldn't leave it parked up while I ran, so had to skip the run and drove home. I left the car for a bit with the window down, thinking about how I was gonna fix it before it started raining! I cut a bit of inner tube for grip and got some pliers. I managed to pull it up about 5mm, slammed the door one more time, and pushed the button and it went up!

It's not been down since... should probably fix that soon.

Reactions: Pav
I'm very lucky to have Rentune just a couple of miles down the road. It went in just for the ball joints but turns out they weren't the only issue with my steering. They're doing lower ball joints, inner tie rods, track rod ends, steering rack bush and a gearbox oil change for a reasonable price, imo. Will hopefully have it back by Thursday as they didn't have everything in.

Wife and I have decided to keep the Clio having spent so much money (for us) on it. In fact we're looking at replacing her Fiesta and the Grand Vitara with something in between. Insurance renewal is coming up and it's getting even harder to justify 3 cars!

Glad you’re keeping it. After everything’s fixed and fresh should feel great again

its never pleasant to get this sort of message back from your mechanic but as others have said..it will feel miles better when all done...
and we all know how money challenging is to keep our cars in good nick :drunk:

So I got my car back from Rentune a couple of weeks ago and steering feels a lot tighter now, and it went through its MOT with no advisories which is something I'm not really used to with my cars! They didn't do the steering bush in the end, apparently it didn't need it, I wonder if that's code for "we forgot" :grimacing:. Can't fault their service though.

This Saturday I spent the morning removing the tint from the rear windows. I borrowed a steam cleaner from the MIL and it worked quite well. The side window tints came off without leaving too much adhesive, but had to apply a bit of elbow grease on the rear window as quite a lot of adhesive was left on. Prefer the look of the car now, I just need to remember that people behind me can see me now.

IMG_20190326_181227.jpg
Best mod so farIMG_20190326_173102.jpg

Next job is stud conversion for spacers, once I get paid, and potentially a wheel refurb - maybe gold. Tbh I think I'd rather spend the money on a remap.

Reactions: Beany and Big Ben
So I got my car back from Rentune a couple of weeks ago and steering feels a lot tighter now, and it went through its MOT with no advisories which is something I'm not really used to with my cars! They didn't do the steering bush in the end, apparently it didn't need it, I wonder if that's code for "we forgot" :grimacing:. Can't fault their service though.

This Saturday I spent the morning removing the tint from the rear windows. I borrowed a steam cleaner from the MIL and it worked quite well. The side window tints came off without leaving too much adhesive, but had to apply a bit of elbow grease on the rear window as quite a lot of adhesive was left on. Prefer the look of the car now, I just need to remember that people behind me can see me now.

View attachment 132464
Best mod so farView attachment 132463

Next job is stud conversion for spacers, once I get paid, and potentially a wheel refurb - maybe gold. Tbh I think I'd rather spend the money on a remap.
Trs wheel studs and nuts. There's a discount code trs10, comes in a 44 quid delivered

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Reactions: lewishunter98

Similar Thread Suggestions