Pad sizes you mostly use DA

Hi guys

Fairly new to machine polishing, bought a DAS6 pro with auto finesse correction kit a few weeks ago.

Got on really well with the wife's zafira, but really needing to get a combination of spot pads I feel.

Onto my clio in the next week so want to stock up on pads, what size spot pads do you tend to use? 3 or 3.5s? Or both? Theres a lot of curves and small edged on the wings and sills, so just wanted to get your input. Oh and would a soft backing plate suit the curved wings better? It's a fecking minefield when it comes to choice in the detailing world [emoji38]

Also how advantageous would it be to get pads to suit applying wax over hand? Are

5.5" chemical guys hex pads with megs #83 & #80.

Think you'll struggle with 3 inch pads, a bit small for larger panels, saying that I struggle doing anywhere small with the bigger pads.

You don't want to apply wax with a machine, a wax is to seal the car, not to work it in. Get a decent foam hand pad to use wax, I use dodo finger wax applicator.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/acces...-of-bling-finger-wax-applicator/prod_977.html

Had to buy another recently as my dog found it -.-

5.5" chemical guys hex pads with megs #83 & #80.

Think you'll struggle with 3 inch pads, a bit small for larger panels, saying that I struggle doing anywhere small with the bigger pads.

You don't want to apply wax with a machine, a wax is to seal the car, not to work it in. Get a decent foam hand pad to use wax, I use dodo finger wax applicator.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/acces...-of-bling-finger-wax-applicator/prod_977.html

Had to buy another recently as my dog found it -.-

A lot of companies sell pads to layer the wax on though? Don't think the have any cutting at all but it's all an added cost I guess. What wax do you like to use? I've got an urge to try collinite 845 you ever tried it?

I've got 5 and 5.5 pads and backing plates from auto finesse, two grades of compound and a finisher. Just like what you said, I thought I'd need the spot pads for the tight areas, just wondered if and what size spot was the norm, they sell 4 inch ones too!

Last edited:
I use 5 inch microfibre pads, they seem to work really well on my paint. Cuts fast with little marring as well.

You get them into tight spaces ok? I don't wanna spend more than I need to just now...The zafira is mainly large panels so it wasn't too much of a hassle

Well if you have larger pads, then the smaller the better for tight areas. The front bumper of the 197 has some pain in the ass places with a big pad. I ended up just having 1 size of pad, I mean you can get up to 7" pads, but I went with the 5.5 for something more in the middle.

Yeah companies do sell pads for wax, I always apply by hand in the direction of the air flow, you can't do that with a machine polisher either. Applying wax is also an easy job. I use Colli 476s, great all round long lasting wax with fantastic reviews.

The dodo range is also good, has oils in it to enhance whichever colour car you have.

Well if you have larger pads, then the smaller the better for tight areas. The front bumper of the 197 has some pain in the ass places with a big pad. I ended up just having 1 size of pad, I mean you can get up to 7" pads, but I went with the 5.5 for something more in the middle.

Yeah companies do sell pads for wax, I always apply by hand in the direction of the air flow, you can't do that with a machine polisher either. Applying wax is also an easy job. I use Colli 476s, great all round long lasting wax with fantastic reviews.

The dodo range is also good, has oils in it to enhance whichever colour car you have.

Thanks mate, pretty much summed it up for me, if you can manage with a bigger pad I doubt I'll need as many that is intended to get. The think a 3 inch spot pad medium compound with a finishing pad also would be fine.

Do you seal your paint before waxing? I know a lot of folk seal after the was but I've read on a few sites you seal post buffing?

Well it depends on your paintwork depends on the different types you need, obviously a car with bad paint will need more work and a bigger selection of pads. If your car doesnt need a lot of work, then yeah, that will suit you fine!

Ive got a selection of medium-light cutting pads with a finishing pad for a glaze. Im by no means an expert, just did a whole **** load of research when I first delved into the vast world of detailing, but ive got very lazy with the car recently.

Some nice guys on detailingworld.co.uk who are very knowledgeable.

I dont seal my paint no, but many do, im just happy with wax. If your going to use the DA, make sure your car is clayed, you wont believe how much crap you get off (if you dont already) :smile:

Well it depends on your paintwork depends on the different types you need, obviously a car with bad paint will need more work and a bigger selection of pads. If your car doesnt need a lot of work, then yeah, that will suit you fine!

Ive got a selection of medium-light cutting pads with a finishing pad for a glaze. Im by no means an expert, just did a whole **** load of research when I first delved into the vast world of detailing, but ive got very lazy with the car recently.

Some nice guys on detailingworld.co.uk who are very knowledgeable.

I dont seal my paint no, but many do, im just happy with wax. If your going to use the DA, make sure your car is clayed, you wont believe how much crap you get off (if you dont already) :smile:

Paintwork is in really good knick other than the usual swirls, the odd fine scratch but I marred the paint on a couple of panels the first time I clayed it some time ago which I've never quite got out by hand.

Any defects are only ever seen under proper lighting in my garage which annoys me, keeping it mint has become a bit of an obsession to be honest, as it probably does with most who get into the detailing side of motoring

ef5d5ba9e3aa731a81ffef14831dea99.jpgdb103a37149bd42b171a85ddcf36fcd7.jpg1aeeac99f5775fcb7656e7ee42d4d0a9.jpg84a47c4571ca6c5937c9a5a409dddf33.jpg41e0c9cd265f458491c762274e159de3.jpg

Stunning mate. :smile:

Plenty of lube with clay and it should be fine.

I use megs quick detailer with megs clay.

Thanks man....gather it's a fine clay? I think the problem I had was I got my first clay bar off ebay and I'm sure it came from China or something, never paid attention to the grade and it was medium or course clay, My bad. Tried the G3 clay mitt bit wasn't very keen on it.

Always learning I suppose. You ever use any autosmart products?

I think if you've never clayed or do it once a year etc a medium is correct. Fine is used for regular claying

Iirc.

Just a mild clay will be fine. The autoglym is a decent clay also actually, does the trick. Yeh these clay cloth things are all in atm, i prefer a bar, then again ive never tried anything else. I just section of parts of the panel off in my mind, do that section then inspect the clay, if i feel it need refreshing then ill turn it into itself and get a fresh bit. Plenty of lube is a must though, i dont dry the car after i wash it just to keep more moisture on the car, some people just use water, but i still prefer a quick detailer.

Yeah autosmart tardis is awesome mate, 100% worth the money. Not tried any of there other products though,they are always in massive tubs, im never going to use 5 litres of trim dressing lol.

Well don't forget, its an iron remover, as in brake dust, which you don't get much of on the car, mainly the wheels. However it can be used on paint and won't damage the clear coat.

Well don't forget, its an iron remover, as in brake dust, which you don't get much of on the car, mainly the wheels. However it can be used on paint and won't damage the clear coat.

These CL pads pepper my lower door panels with bullets mate lol, like fecking sandpaper after a spirited drive it's annoying but try to keep on top of it, well worth it for the stopping power.

You ever use a pre wax product? I've bought some ipa panel wipe which I used on the wife's car with a clean micro fibre

Last edited:
Well ipa is just alcohol, removes old wax and polishing residues. Good stuff to have!

Ugh lol, then yeah as I said iron x wont damage the clear cloat, but get a nose peg.

Highly effective, acid-free and pH balanced (6~7pH) for car paint, wheels & glass (safe for all wheels including aluminum and alloys). This formulation is also effective and safe for use on all car surfaces and will not deteriorate clear coats.