POTM 'Theme' ideas and Feedback thread

The set theme for 12 months could work, but at the same time not. For example, your out and about and end up on a beach in June, but beach theme isn't till August and the pics need to be new that month. It'll work if you have 12 set for the year and release details at beginning of each month as you do, that way no taking August's picture in June.

As for ideas, theres a few good ones above. How about:
Sunrise
Sunset
Famous Landmarks
Black & White effect
Tunnels

Just a few to think about. :thumb:

Reactions: Jimmy
We used to play a forum game where it was a picture of your car next to..

And it be like next to a red phone box, or a war memorial, or a bench, then everyone went out to try get a picture next to the chosen subject.

OK it's not really a potm but for a theme or quest it's quite fun. And you should most of the time, get different pictures unless people just have there car next to a lot of random objects.

Thank you very much for all the feedback so far, I'm really happy with this! It's exactly what I was after. And it's nice to see that POTM is still well-liked.

Well, the 'we' coming up with the themes is, ahem, just me at the moment, so I'm extremely grateful for all the suggestions of specific ones. I like to think that the past themes we've had have always been pretty popular (with the odd exception), but it's really good to see ideas from other people's imaginations :smile:

I am tempted to do a trackday theme one month, and the reason there hasn't been one in the past, is that the number of regular trackday-goers is relatively small, so I want to try and get as many people as involved as possible. However you could say the same for something like a 'detailing/dirty car' theme: not everyone details their car/lets it get dirty :smile: So watch this space :wink:

I quite like @///M 's suggestions, of having a set theme for the months each year, that is something to bear in mind for the future... As for the winner making the choice, I do like this too, however there is always the possibility that they could choose something ideal for them.... Maybe I'm being a bit cynical there! :smile:

Please keep your comments and ideas coming in, I am happy to have them all, everything is helpful!

Thanks guys.

back to the track day theme how about an exception on the rules only because i do track my car from one month to the next well try to and people might have tracked there car once or twice and people don't but this shouldn't stop us a track theme doesn't necessarily mean you driving down the cork screw at laguna. it could be the flags outside mallory or getting on 3 wheels round a roundabout somewhere (on a privet road) and when i said an exception to the rules maybe and just maybe an open timeline for the pics and when they where taken because i bet some people have tracked or been somewhere with an awesome pic for with the track in the back/fore ground but in the past.. just an idea and a little keeping with the (open for interpretation)

Thanks again for the comments guys, all very much appreciated.

@Cliosport-carl You make a very good point about the trackday theme - relaxing the 'timeline' restrictions would make it a lot more accessible. It could well be that someone has a cracking photo from the one time they did a trackday, but because it was last year, it technically wouldn't be legit.... So yes, I agree that relaxing the time restriction for the Trackday month is a good idea.

The rules for the timeline is more to keep things fair - last month we had an entry that had actually been entered in a previous month's! What we want to avoid is people reusing old pictures - the whole idea is to encourage people to get out there and get their best photo in that month. Copy and pasting isn't really that fair on those who have made the effort. However for the trackday, we'll make an exception.

@///M Interesting again with the winner being excluded, if they make the choice of theme. VIN plate could well be on the menu if that was the case :smile::smile: Some months, the majority of the entries are from a small pool of members anyway, so we wouldn't want to dilute that even more by keeping someone out! I tells ya: this is harder than you think!!

@nathan-burgess You make a very good point about the set theme for each month/year - it could complicate things, especially when you have the timeline issue, as mentioned. So for now, we will stick to the theme being announced at the start of the month, and alternate it with a 'free for all'.

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate the time you've given to discussing this.

@Jimmy yeah mate, I've had my time trying to organise things like this and it's NEVER straightforward or easy. I'm sure you'll get a workable solution out of it all though. And it's cool to see in public the efforts that the admin team go to in the background.

:thumb:

Similar Thread Suggestions