Reverse lights not working???

Hi Guys,

Hope all is well.

My 197 went in for it's MOT last Thursday and passed with flying colours, not even an advisory which I was really pleased about. :smiley:

I have got a 2006 197 with 41,500 approx on the clock.

However, on Sunday when I was reversing into a parking space a customer said just to let you know u have no reverse lights so I have looked into this and all the fuses under the steering wheel are fine, as well as all in the fuse box underneath the 2nd air intake hose.

I've checked both reverse light bulbs and they aren't blown. My friend who is a mechanic said now i've checked all of the above it could be a broken reverse switch on the gearbox or a broken wire??

I have had a look in the engine bay down at the gearbox and all I can see is the green switch above the bell housing(where all the bolts are tht join the two sections of the g-box together). He said tht is the flywheel sensor.

Can anyone tell me where the reverse switch is on the gearbox please? Is it above or underneath the g-box and what colour. My friend said it should be towards the middle or end of the gearbox above the reverse gear?

Although I haven't rectified whether it's the switch or not, I've got a quote for the part from GSF Car parts (normally go with Geniune but cause it's not a major part i'll go with GSF and they have quoted me £21incl vat which isn't bad.

I hope it's the switch and not a broken wire otherwise it's like finding a needle in a hay stack. :worried:

Has anyone else had this problem as well?

Look forward to your feedback lads.

Cheers

Chris 8)

How'd it pass an MOT without a reverse light? Not likely to break from Thursday to Sunday...

If it's a switch it can brake like a bulb.

One minute it's working, next it's not.

pull off the multi plug and bridge the connectors with some wire - if they work its the switch!

pull off the multi plug and bridge the connectors with some wire - if they work its the switch!

I've pulled off the switch and cause it's a 3pin switch I couldn't bridge it with a paperclip to test it so I used a volt meter but tht acted up but my mate and I taking into consideration how little milleage I do and how well it's maintained it's most likely the switch so i'll purchase a new one tomorrow. :smile:

Cheers for all your help guys I appreciate it alot. :smile:

Chris

My reverse lights are now working. However, I had to take out half of the engine bay to get proper access to the reverse light switch on the gearbox.

Remove 2nd air intake pipe
Battery
Battery box
Main air intake box/system where panel filter sits
The hard plastic air intake pipe which sits infront of RS cylinder head and goes into front vents

All that just for a little part. Clio mk3 engine bays are soo tight, unlike other engine bays such as VAG models where everything is nice and laid out, with bigger space.

Glad all is working now though and many thanks for ur help. :smile:

Reactions: papa