Standard Airbox over Induction kit

Discussion in 'Clio 197 Area' started by supersol, Jul 10, 2018.

1. supersol

supersol

Car:
    Clio 197
    Hi,

So after having the RamAir induction kit on my 197 for about 8 months, with a cold air feed. I wanted to change back to my standard air box but with a performance panel filter. (Mainly because I bought an exhaust and red this was the right thing to do.. plus needed to be done really)

An I just wanted to say if you’re thinking of buying an induction kit for the 197/200. Just don’t. Yeah it sounds meaty and nice. But with the standard airbox & good panel filter, my god is the throttle response better and it feels as if it gets the power down, easier and quicker.

You also get a little grunt from the intake with the ramair panel filter.

Just wanted to share really.. most people will agree. But if you’re looking, save your money and get a good panel filter. —— then buy an exhaust for noise lol

Sean197 and Doogle like this.

2. danboy007

danboy007 Paid Member

Car:
    clio 197
    being a first time 197 owner ive been trying a few things... an induction kit was next but i dont think ill bother now! the last thing i tried was an EVOL engine/gearbox mount.... crikey was it harsh... lasted a month before i got rid. just didnt agree with the car. just seems to me that renault spent millions developing these cars so probably got it right first time! did you re-map after adding the induction kit?

silverclio4410 likes this.
  3. supersol

supersol

Car:
    Clio 197
    This is my first 197 too. Went straight from a MK2 1.2.
    I didn't remap it, and haven't.. yet. Most probably go for an RS tuner kit.
    The induction kit was the first thing I purchased, mainly for the noise personally, and well because I thought it would 'increase' the power. It did not! although did make a nice sound I'll give it that!
    - MPG went down (even on day to day/my commute to work)
    - The engine noise sounded louder and more 'unhealthy'
    - Lumpy idle

Now have a cat back with RamAir panel filter = much better.. although need to remap for the flatspot.

I haven't touched the engine mounts etc, people rave about the Powerflex ones though. But I agree.. alot of time got spento n these cars by Renault.

4. danboy007

danboy007 Paid Member

Car:
    clio 197
    the lower engine mounts get alot of abuse and wear quickly but are only £23 and can be bought off e-bay and easily changed by yourself so im sticking to them. my car feels so smooth to drive at the minute im loving it..i put in 4 NGK spark plugs at £15 each and a piper sport panel filter and i dont really notice the flat spot. my last car was a SEAT ibiza 1.4! thought id treat myself to the clio. always liked them...

5. Doogle

Doogle Winner - POTM March 2018 Paid Member

Car:
    BMW e46 330cd
    Ths Torque Mount is a good one to change to Powerflex without excessive vibrations. It makes the car feel more direct and will extend the life of your flexi's on the manifold. The main one that does cause problems is the main engine mount under the torque arm.

6. danboy007

danboy007 Paid Member

Car:
    clio 197
    Will have a look at that doogle.. thanks

7. Dave W

Dave W

Car:
    DB 197 F1
    I bought my F1 with a KTR intake and manifold already fitted. I haven't had it mapped yet and may wait until winter when I'm probably going to change the cold air feed to some kind of positive pressure system (still working on the design for that).

8. av4625

av4625 Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197 and Megane 275
    I just put a deposit down on a 197. It has an induction kit on it (ITG I think), the guy didn't have the original airbox for it :worried:. Are they different from normal clios?

9. Doogle

Doogle Winner - POTM March 2018 Paid Member

Car:
    BMW e46 330cd
    Yes buddy but the ITG's arnt bad.

av4625 likes this.
  10. Smorgan7

Smorgan7 Platinum Member

Car:
    Renault Clio RS 200
    I have a complete standard airbox here if you want it?

11. J90RDN

J90RDN Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197 - Track
    Think it depends. I went from standard airbox to a cold air fed CDA and throttle response improved, and the sounds was immense. Only got rid as I went to an R3 maxi setup.

12. av4625

av4625 Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197 and Megane 275
    What is a CDA?

13. J90RDN

J90RDN Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197 - Track
    Carbon Dynamic Airbox

av4625 likes this.
  14. Benno

Benno Gold Member

Car:
    OG 250 Cup
    KTR induction kits get a lot of bad press. But after having mine mapped in, it made 201bhp and the throttle response was brilliant. Well worth it for the noise alone.

av4625 likes this.
  15. av4625

av4625 Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197 and Megane 275
    What is the big flat carbon airbox thing that I have seen on some cars and where do ypu get it? Is that a CDA? I googled CDA and it came up with carbon cylinder shaped air filters. Maybe you ment the flat one Im not sure.

Sorry about all the questions :smile:

16. Stewart Cluley

Stewart Cluley Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197
    I’m interested in this if still for sale? PM me. Thanks.