Staticc Clio 197

staticc

Paid Member
A few months ago I picked up a cheap Clio 197 to see what all the fuss is about French Hatchbacks is about.

It had a couple of mods:

- Modified Exhaust

- Rear lip spoiler

- Extended Gear Knob

Which made it look and sound good, but the paint has had a hard life in he sun. It also needed some work to get it driving better and through Inspection.

- Rear brake pads

- Fuel filter

- MAP cleaned and re-sealed

- New spark plugs

- 2 New tyres

- PVC system cleaned

- Rear shocks

It passed through better then expected, the only thing was the window tint had to be removed.

I used it as a daily, as it's really good to drive and can see why people like these things.

But with the good comes the bad.

Got the dreaded synchro issue in the gearbox. It's only into 3rd, and it doesn't happen all the time.

The paint is quite poor, could do with a freshen up.

After driving it around, I felt like it needed a boost in power. I have taken it off the road and am gathering parts to convert it over to a Megane 275 setup. I have been in contact with another member over on ozrenaultsport who is attempting this conversion.

I hope to share this journey with you guys too, so feel free to pop over and check out my thread:

I am also on the lookout for a gearbox mount with part number 8200277207, if anyone has this and is able to post to Australia, please let me know.

The plan is to use the 275 box with a couple of mounts from diesel Renaults. If failing that, get my hands on a 225 box.

The plan is to use the 275 box with a couple of mounts from diesel Renaults. If failing that, get my hands on a 225 box.

Hopefully you get something together that works. From what I've seen it becomes a bit of a pain to fit when using the Mk3 box, and shafts aren't as straight forward. The ND0 in my conversion already sits mega close to the frame rail so I wouldn't want anything more significant in there lol

Hopefully you get something together that works. From what I've seen it becomes a bit of a pain to fit when using the Mk3 box, and shafts aren't as straight forward. The ND0 in my conversion already sits mega close to the frame rail so I wouldn't want anything more significant in there lol
I have read a lot about the difficulties of this swap. But I'm going to see what can be done. The car will be gradually used less on the road here anyways as it will be slowly turned into a track car I could use (maybe) in time attack events. So I'm not too worried if there is a bit of work to be done