Steering issues in fast left handers

Josh Hill

Paid Member
Hi all,

Strange issue plaguing my 197...only noticeable in fast left hand bends, it’s like a strange tugging at the wheel where you can feel almost the steering angle changing whilst the wheel is held still!

Quite unnnerving and right handers are ok.

Swivel joints feel ok, track rod end ball joint and wishbone ball joints ok too as are the top mounts and shocks/springs.

So what’s the most likely culprit - inner track rod or rack? I’ve read about replacing some kind of bush in the rack?

I don’t think it’s an alignment issue something definitely has some kind of give in it to give me that pulling feeling.

Just to note I get no knocking clunking or bad suspension noises ever.

Sorry this is fairly vague and possibly hard to diagnose.

I’ve got the same problem with turning right, when I had the springs fitted the garage noted the bottom swivel bearings had play, I’ve since had a creaking from one side. I’m getting it looked at Friday I’ll let you know if they cure the problem

As an aside, don’t forget that when jacked up to feel for play it’s very possible you won’t feel anything as the loading and therefore the location of worn areas doesn’t sit in alignment and in fact there may still be play that you can’t feel, disassembly is the only way to truly check in that instance

As an example Peugeot 207 bottom arms settle in a locked position on jacking them up so you can’t feel any play... but I’ve lost count of the times a car has had a knocking and the bottom arm was the culprit... similar with top mounts also, jacking them up presents a completely different load to the top mount as well

As an example Peugeot 207 bottom arms settle in a locked position on jacking them up so you can’t feel any play... but I’ve lost count of the times a car has had a knocking and the bottom arm was the culprit...

I've a similar issue on mine, and i've near on enough replaced everything on mine. Tempted to get powerflex bushes for my wishbone or something too. Do you know if it's the subframe has to be dropped on the clios to get the wishbone out mate?

Took my car in to RS Four Ashes today, it was the nearside swivel joint that had play in it, and this seems to have cured the wondering problem I had at speed.

Reactions: Foxspeed