Steering Wheel Controls

Discussion in 'Interior and Audio' started by xs2man, Sep 7, 2019.

1. xs2man

xs2man

Car:
    Focus
    Has anybody managed to get the steering wheel controls to work successfully with an aftermarket stereo?

I have just bought my 197, and decided since the radio reception is utterly terrible, I'd stick a DAB radio in there. With the added advantage of BT and USB for media playback.

I've never bothered forking out the extra money for steering wheel controls in the past, but I like this car, so thought I'd give it a try.

Car is a 2007 F1 Team, the yellow connector behind the radio has 5 pins, so I assume that means it is a CANBUS unit. I bought the Connects2 CTSRN005.2 and CTMULTILEAD.2 to achieve this. Having followed the instructions both in the packaging, and some youtube videos, I figured out that for my Kenwood KDC-BT720 DAB unit, I only needed the purple wires. Video guides suggested I snip the other two leads in the patch cable, so I did that.

I then proceeded to wire everything up. The stereo worked fine, but the steering wheel controls didn't. I unhooked everything, and hooked it all up again, careful to make sure it was all in the correct order, and again, still nothing.

Is it common for these not to work? Has anyone managed to get theirs to work?

2. lewishunter98

lewishunter98 Paid Member

Car:
    Racing Blue Clio 197
    Mine work with an aftermarket head unit, however I'm not 100% sure how it was done because it was like that when I bought the car. So it's definitely doable!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

xs2man likes this.
  3. xs2man

xs2man

Car:
    Focus
    Thanks. Hopefully the seller can help sort me out here. I bought off ebay, but from a relatively big car audio place.

4. DS197

DS197 POTM Winner - June 2017 Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197
    As far as I know it's a plug and play job and shouldn't require any wires to be cut. Perhaps that's the issue?

xs2man likes this.
  5. xs2man

xs2man

Car:
    Focus
    Nah. That aint it. Its the patch lead that does require the "modification". Here is the Connects2 video showing how to configure the lead, and that is the video I followed.

6. Cam

Cam

Car:
    Clio 200
    I had a similar issue recently on my car which is an early 200. I couldn’t get the steering wheel interface working.

The retailer told me I required a live feed wired in. This was bollocks.

The stereo and steering wheel controls only worked when the car was running, not just the ignition on.

I had a word with Gus on here and he seems to be the expert with steering wheel controls etc

7. wootwoot

wootwoot

Car:
    Clio 197
    I had the same issue while running a Sony head unit. It is the same with pioneer units when using the connect 2 control box.

You will need to open the connect 2 box up

Take out the circuit board and on the back adjust dipset 4 down.

f29dbe515639baf9f4829cc1a6bbdbf1.jpg 847b1f09962c5dc82f8aed6252fe3c2f.jpg

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk