Steering Wheel Controls

xs2man

Paid Member
Has anybody managed to get the steering wheel controls to work successfully with an aftermarket stereo?

I have just bought my 197, and decided since the radio reception is utterly terrible, I'd stick a DAB radio in there. With the added advantage of BT and USB for media playback.

I've never bothered forking out the extra money for steering wheel controls in the past, but I like this car, so thought I'd give it a try.

Car is a 2007 F1 Team, the yellow connector behind the radio has 5 pins, so I assume that means it is a CANBUS unit. I bought the Connects2 CTSRN005.2 and CTMULTILEAD.2 to achieve this. Having followed the instructions both in the packaging, and some youtube videos, I figured out that for my Kenwood KDC-BT720 DAB unit, I only needed the purple wires. Video guides suggested I snip the other two leads in the patch cable, so I did that.

I then proceeded to wire everything up. The stereo worked fine, but the steering wheel controls didn't. I unhooked everything, and hooked it all up again, careful to make sure it was all in the correct order, and again, still nothing.

Is it common for these not to work? Has anyone managed to get theirs to work?

Mine work with an aftermarket head unit, however I'm not 100% sure how it was done because it was like that when I bought the car. So it's definitely doable!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Reactions: xs2man
Thanks. Hopefully the seller can help sort me out here. I bought off ebay, but from a relatively big car audio place.

As far as I know it's a plug and play job and shouldn't require any wires to be cut. Perhaps that's the issue?

Reactions: xs2man
As far as I know it's a plug and play job and shouldn't require any wires to be cut. Perhaps that's the issue?

Nah. That aint it. Its the patch lead that does require the "modification". Here is the Connects2 video showing how to configure the lead, and that is the video I followed.

Nah. That aint it. Its the patch lead that does require the "modification". Here is the Connects2 video showing how to configure the lead, and that is the video I followed.

I had a similar issue recently on my car which is an early 200. I couldn’t get the steering wheel interface working.

The retailer told me I required a live feed wired in. This was bollocks.

The stereo and steering wheel controls only worked when the car was running, not just the ignition on.

I had a word with Gus on here and he seems to be the expert with steering wheel controls etc

I had the same issue while running a Sony head unit. It is the same with pioneer units when using the connect 2 control box.

You will need to open the connect 2 box up

Take out the circuit board and on the back adjust dipset 4 down.

f29dbe515639baf9f4829cc1a6bbdbf1.jpg847b1f09962c5dc82f8aed6252fe3c2f.jpg

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Hi, I just want to say a huge thanks for this tip ! Wootwoot, err What, what ? how come the info is not in the manual ? The symptomes with my clio 3.1 (originally with Cabasse CD changer and gremlins under passenger seat), CT5RN005.2 and Sony DSX-100 were the following :

o volume +, volume-, pause (ATT more specifically) worked well
o Track+ worked but not Track- (display change instead...)
o Album+ worked but not Album- (display change instead)
oImpossible to change source (head unit turned off instead...)

Thanks to your advice, my non RS Clio is going to have quality (and practical) sound, keeping the steering wheel controls.
By ze way I'm French and my le car is not so le slow : not a RS but a wonderful little 2.0 16V 140 (almost a sleeper,and almost no mechanics know the model : I have to service it thanks to infos on the Nissan Sentra in America) with not even 50000 miles (yeah, 75000 km).

Well, finally everysing working incredibly fine, merci to this well hidden putain de dip switch #4 de sa mère (out of curiosity, I tried turning on ze ozers (with the tip of my baguette of course) --> no steering wheel controls working at all (maybe cause of the Camembert drips over the PCB) :tongueout: