Steering wheel vibration after Powerflex install

bedoef

Platinum Member
I thought I would post this on the forum. I recent installed the powerflex parts for the torque arm, upper gearbox mount and the dogbone insert. After install, with the AC off everything is fine, there is minmal vibration. However, when I have the AC on and the car drops to idle, my steering wheel vibrates like mad. It moves up and down a few mils at a high frequency. Is this the normal scenario when everyone else gets these bushings installed?

I can visibly see the engine shaking when I pop the hood. Just wondering if something went wrong when it was installed, or is there something else?

I've noticed the steering wheel vibrating since having the inserts fitted. I generally don't use the AC so can't comment if that makes a difference, but at idle you can see the wheel vibrating. As you might have already read, the vibrations do die down eventually.

I've had mine in a week....i THINK they are dying down already.

BUT: Got some dashboard rattle on 1st gear pull-aways. Some steering wheel vibration, and a vibe through the pedals when coasting.

If you Google it many-many owners of many different makes / models all talk of them "bedding in". So dont lose hope yet !

yeah it does vibrate a bit..not too much in mine though...still improvement over the old mounts..

Yea i heard about the bedding in for the inserts. I figured that it would be more like the way it feels at idle without the AC on, which is barely noticeable. I definitely get the 1st gear pull away vibrations if I dont keep the revs up!

My problem is that I am travelling all week, so getting 1000 miles on the car will take me forever!

Yea i heard about the bedding in for the inserts. I figured that it would be more like the way it feels at idle without the AC on, which is barely noticeable. I definitely get the 1st gear pull away vibrations if I dont keep the revs up!

My problem is that I am travelling all week, so getting 1000 miles on the car will take me forever!
I found out that the problem was the right engine mount. Removed it after a couple of days. No issues after that.

I've had the full kit installed and it anoyed me too much. Removed the gearbox and upper powerflex bushes and now it's way better!

Also set my idle to 900rpm which made it even better

I've had the full kit installed and it anoyed me too much. Removed the gearbox and upper powerflex bushes and now it's way better!

Also set my idle to 900rpm which made it even better

Spot-on.

Raising tickover on my remap occurred to me too [Unless it can be manually adjusted then ?]

For anyone thinking of doing this - but worried about rattles / vibrations etc. I'll try to remember to keep this updated for a while to share my experiences.........

5 days since i had my Powerflex engine and gearbox mounts fitted. I've not done many miles - but the difference in feel / vibration from the car is night-and-day already. The "feel" from the car, and the firmness the bushes gave was amazing from the second i picked the car up. The vibrations and rattles were also immediately apparent though. In a bad way. I COULD NOT AND WOULD NOT HAVE LIVED (Long-term) WITH THAT.......

But; 5 days and literally only a couple of hundred miles in and steering wheel vibration is all but gone, vibrations through the pedals on deceleration are also very nearly gone and extremely minor now. The only real difference from standard right now is on start-up; where the car feels very firm, stiff, solid and "race-car" like. When the engine cranks-up and fires into life; ALL that energy is felt in the cockpit. No soft engine mounts to soak that up !

^^^ This sums it up really well, especially the part about what it's like on start-up - properly thrums through the whole car! I quite like that though, it makes it feel just a tiny bit more 'special' - similar for me with the harder ride from the Cup springs.

I still have steering wheel vibration but I've not done loads of miles yet, so still bedding in no doubt. The car does feel so much smoother to drive though and the gear changes are better as a result.

Thought I'd reply to this, I've had my powerflex torque mount insert and dog bone insert in for at least a year now probably almost 2! I still get a LOT of vibrations and it causes a ringing inside the cabin.

Now after doing a bit of reading it appears not everyone gets this and even a guy that drove my car and has fitted powerflex inserts on other 197/200s have not got this much vibration.

So this leads me to think, is it possible I have a failed mount somewhere?

I also have the gearbox and upper engine mount inserts but not sure I want to fit these for even more vibrations but if I did fit these would it identify a worn mount if the vibrations actually decreased?

My friend had this when he fitted the the upper and lower engine mounts and not the gearbox mount. Fitted the gearbox mount and the vibrations died down. I've got all 3 fitted and once bedded in it's settle down a bit but still vibrates when pulling away.

My friend had this when he fitted the the upper and lower engine mounts and not the gearbox mount. Fitted the gearbox mount and the vibrations died down. I've got all 3 fitted and once bedded in it's settle down a bit but still vibrates when pulling away.
Maybe need to fit the gearbox one then and see how it feels

I had the same got a lot better after couple thousand miles but was still there slightly, i fitted the gearbox mount insert last weekend and its all gone now. Quite shocked.lol.

I wouldn't have it with out them to be fair they made a noticeable difference to the car overall.

It's been 6 months with a number of track days thrown in and while the vibration has died down a bit, in idle while the AC is on my steering wheel wants to fall off the car. I'm guessing maybe the upper torque arm is to blame for the vibrations. I'll have to look into raising the idle speed to 900 to solve the issue. Seems if I give a little gas at the lights the vibration hours away immediately.

I have 2x mounts - torque arm Bush and the lower engine mount (dog bone), I have been driving with them for about 8 months now and I still get the vibrations, but only when on idle.

Saying that, idle vibrations are bloody annoying as hell! Feels like I am driving an 80s Ford Transiy. My steering wheel keeps vibrating.

I’m thinking about removing the torque arm and leaving the lower engine mount.