Stud / Nut Conversion

-Eddie-

Missing In Action
Hey guys

Who is running a stud / nut conversion kit? I’ve been looking at them for a while but instead of buying the likes of black TPI wheel bolts to compliment the wheels I’m going to fit the stud and nut conversion.

What brand did you go for? I’ve looked at AP Motorsport, Ktec and the Pure Motorsport kits.

i bought the elite-D kit (20X 68mm long studs) a few years back. replaced them with a german kit (sandtler) last year, because a couple of nuts got stuck on the studs. probably because i was stupid enough to 'wirebrush' the studs (several times) after they got a bit of a 'rusty' look and i brushed off the protective coating (guessing here).

when buying the sandtler kit, i decided to get ten 68mm and ten 75mm studs. when fitting the elite-D kit, i found out that the studs on the front axle went in 5mm deeper than the ones on the back. was doing my head in, every time i looked at my wheels. ocd and all that ... 2mm i can live with. :smile:

i remember that, on the elite-D site blue loctite was recommended for securing the studs. well, some of the studs came loose. so for the second kit, i'm using red loctite 272. i think it was someone on here telling me to go for the 272 (high temp resistant).

the elite-D website is down btw.

Reactions: -Eddie-
the elite-D website is down btw.

Any idea why? the stud and nut question has comes up a few times recently and I've tried to link people to elite-d as that's the kit I have but the website hasn't been working for ages!

Any idea why? the stud and nut question has comes up a few times recently and I've tried to link people to elite-d as that's the kit I have but the website hasn't been working for ages!

nope. no idea. out of business?

Reactions: Hyde200
I've used watsfieldlimited on eBay for black studs, VW fitment, I had to machine down the non threaded parts for them to fit through Clio wheels though. 75mm front and 68mm rear, which makes them match very closely on protruding length.
I'm using Using 243 loctite atm. I daily the car and not had issue with the 243, but for peace of mind moving to 270.

Using a set of polarized TPI nuts, and I'm running 5mm spacers on a ET57 8j wheel.

OgKr202.jpg
zqiDPF3.jpg

I've used watsfieldlimited on eBay for black studs, VW fitment, I had to machine down the non threaded parts for them to fit through Clio wheels though. 75mm front and 68mm rear, which makes them match very closely on protruding length.
I'm using Using 243 loctite atm. I daily the car and not had issue with the 243, but for peace of mind moving to 270.

Using a set of polarized TPI nuts, and I'm running 5mm spacers on a ET57 8j wheel.

View attachment 120069
View attachment 120070

Any links to them on eBay? :smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 120069
View attachment 120070

In fact, are these the ones? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/121909465688

So cheap compared to the other kits!

Yup!
I have no idea why people pay in excess of £100 for a full kit in all honesty, stud is a stud!

These are heat treated 10.9 grade which is commonly used in automotive use.

Think I’ll go for the same spec as yours. I’ll be running 8j wheels ET55 so 75mm front and 68mm rear should still do the job

Think I’ll go for the same spec as yours. I’ll be running 8j wheels ET55 so 75mm front and 68mm rear should still do the job

In the past I've literally made a threaded bar on a lathe and chopped it into four on my old Mk2 Clio! :tearsofjoy:

That'll be similar to mine, mine are 8J ET57, although I'm running 5mm spacers in these photos so more like ET52.

Try TRS on eBay. We went 90mm front and 82mm rear allowing for 20mm spacers

Sorry to hijack the thread Eddie.
I was considering buying from TRS, did you need to do anything to the studs to fit them? I am also going to be running 20mm spacers, so thanks for the lengths, as I was a bit confused about them.
Also what nuts are you using? I want to get black ones, thanks in advance.

Sorry to hijack the thread Eddie.
I was considering buying from TRS, did you need to do anything to the studs to fit them? I am also going to be running 20mm spacers, so thanks for the lengths, as I was a bit confused about them.
Also what nuts are you using? I want to get black ones, thanks in advance.

Use high temp stud lock when fitting the studs

We used TRS nuts, with the lengths quoted you will get a couple of threads visible when the nut is tight

Reactions: suj