Suspension refresh dilema - shocks!

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes & Steering' started by krispe, Sep 12, 2019.

1. krispe

krispe Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197, Cayman GTS,
    OK so I am planning on refreshing my Clio 197 suspension. I originally planned on new std (non cup) shocks and Eibach springs. I have received the Eibachs but the standard front shocks I ordered from RPD are out of stock and they do not now when they will get more stock in! (Kamracing is also out of stock).

How much firmer are Cup shocks than standard? (Car is my daily so I don't really want it stiffer/bouncy)
    Would I be mad to fit new standard rears but with new cup fronts? (Personally I think this should work quite well as I don't want the rear any bouncier than it is already.)
    Send back the Eibachs and just go B14's? (However think this maybe overkill on a daily and maybe too firm. ).

2. RSRowe

RSRowe Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197
    The difference between cup and none cup is like night and day imo.
    That being said, I really don't think cup shocks are bad on the road

3. krispe

krispe Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197, Cayman GTS,
    Are standard 200 dampers firmer than standard 197? Are the rear dampers the same between both cars? Could I fit rs200 standard rear dampers to my RS197 (assuming they are still not as firm as 197 cup dampers)?

4. krispe

krispe Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197, Cayman GTS,
    Just found out std 200 dampers are softer than std 197. Back to thinking of std 197 rear damper and cup 197 fronts.... Will it ride better though on B14's? I don't mind it being a bit firmer, (my Cayman is pretty firm), as long as its controlled on not bouncy/crashy.

5. krispe

krispe Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197, Cayman GTS,
    Just ordered std rears and cup fronts from Kamracing... I think this will work OK....

wootwoot likes this.
  6. bedoef

bedoef Platinum Member

Car:
    2012 Clio RS 200
    Good luck. Let us know how it turns out!

7. Brad8988

Brad8988 Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197
    I recently changed from old cup shocks and springs to new cup shocks and H&R Springs.

I was worried it was going to be too hard but it's actually better than the original worn out standard cup suspension.