Tempted by a 225...

Discussion in 'Clio General Chat' started by Doogle, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Doogle

Doogle Winner - POTM March 2018 Paid Member

Car:
    BMW e46 330cd
    Ladies and gents,

I have found myself looking at 225's recently. The Clio is great, but I get bored easily. Trying to get the most out of the Clio is hard work sometimes and odd things get tirering (sh*tty thermostats, kangaroo issue when cold, etc)

Question is, who has had one and now had a Clio? How do they compare? I am not chasing figures, I wouldn't have bought the Clio if that was the case! Handling, ride, MPG, comfort, spec levels, common problems, at what mileage do things wear out, etc. Cost of insurance (32 with 7 years NCB) and cost of tax? Rust?

Currently I have a full fat 197 with Recaros, Xenons, climate control, auto wipers, Cup suspension, etc. I fancy the same toys, not bothered about satnav or heated seats. Also not looking for a trophy! The car is a daily as well.as some fun.

Looking at prices they are similar to Clio prices, seems £3-4k, is that a reasonable price to pay?

Naturally, I have also considered dropping in a 225 lump into my Clio but without mechanical knowledge and equipment its not a route I see me taking.

Any help is appreciated!

2. silverclio4410

silverclio4410 Paid Member

Car:
    Clio
    One thing I will say is for the improvement on spec by a huge way don't go 225, go r26. Epic cars for the money believe me

3. Doogle

Car:
    BMW e46 330cd
    So the R26 is like the R27/F1 Clio in that its limited in numbers? And what extra do you get over a regular 225?

4. silverclio4410

silverclio4410 Paid Member

Car:
    Clio
    It really is a no brained
    R26 has an LSD which alone is a game changer.
    Recaro seats

lewishunter98 likes this.
  5. Doogle

Car:
    BMW e46 330cd
    That makes sense, I have no idea and never looked into them! Other than LSD and Recaro's anything else?

silverclio4410 likes this.
  6. lewishunter98

lewishunter98 Paid Member

Car:
    Racing Blue Clio 197
    Definitely R26 over 225. I know of a 225 non cup chassis, lux pack or something i believe? Not that special imo. Don't get me wrong its a lovely car, comfy etc and quick, looks great, but not quick enough to get past my clio :wink: and handling doesn't compare to the clio.

If i were to get one after a 197 i agree with the others, R26 is a no brainer.

silverclio4410 likes this.
  7. Doogle

Car:
    BMW e46 330cd
    Cheers gents, Id like to try one to see what I think of them. As with all cars the proof is in the drive of it. Id really like a 250 Meg but still out of budget.

8. FatRS

FatRS Paid Member

A little loan for a black 250?

9. DarrenR27

DarrenR27 Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197
    I’ve had all three: 225, R26 and 197. Don’t get a 225, R26 was night and day better. Amazing how big a difference a diff and RARB makes.

R26 or 197? That depends on what type of car you’re after. My 275/300 R26 was effortless fast, but I think the 197 handles better. Both were running decent coilovers.

For me, I prefer the 197 as a perfect balance of pace and grip for where we live.

Doogle and silverclio4410 like this.
  10. Doogle

Car:
    BMW e46 330cd
    Saving for a wedding (September 2019) so my finances arnt placed for a new car at the moment. My 197 is probably only worth £2.5-3k with the mileage too.

Thanks Darren, interesting to hear that. Sounds like if I was going to go that way an R26 is the option, but from the R26's Ive seen they are £4.5 to £6k. If I was going that way Id probably look at going full hog for 250/265/275 as its ultimately a newer more refined car, and they are coming down dramatically in price (but again you dont want a base spec)

11. Hi,
    If you need any help insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
    Regards,
    Dan.

12. Dmonk197

Dmonk197 Paid Member

Car:
    197 R27
    Shame you add £1000 every year on renewal.
    you just quoted me on Renewal from £600 to £990 and when i wanted to add business use of 1000 miles you quoted me £1800.

i got cover for £550. (Churchill)

silverclio4410 and lewishunter98 like this.
  13. I'm sorry that we couldn't help out with your renewal this year. Sound like you got a good deal elsewhere though.
    Regards,
    Dan.