URGENT - Reverse Lights

Proper doing my head in, both reverse lights stopped working, visited local motor factors got bulbs replaced still not working.

Decided to check fuses in manual. None are labelled up for Reverse lights. Just brake, courtesy etc etc.

Replaced a few just for luck etc.

Anyone know exactly which fuse it is?

Thanks

Sounds like the reverse light switch is faulty, seeing as both reverse lights are not working.

See if you can find the reverse light switch on the gearbox, pull off the plug and bridge the wires, if the reverse lights come on - its the switch.

Sounds like the reverse light switch is faulty, seeing as both reverse lights are not working.

See if you can find the reverse light switch on the gearbox, pull off the plug and bridge the wires, if the reverse lights come on - its the switch.

Thanks mate - where abouts do you mean on the gearbox in the engine bay or the actual gear stick?

Will be screwed into the actual gearbox casing under the bonnet, probably got a 2-pin plug plugged into it.

Unplug, and bridge the wires in the plug (paper clip is ideal) and if the reverse lights come on it proves its the switch thats faulty.

My old mk2 used to blow it's fuse everytime I put it in reverse, ended up being a bad connection. Something to keep in mind.

My old mk2 used to blow it's fuse everytime I put it in reverse, ended up being a bad connection. Something to keep in mind.

Thanks mate, think im going to visit the dealer.

Anyone know how much these swicthes are? the purple one in the picture?

reverse switch - wouldnt say to expensive at a guess say £10 - £15 plus fitting on top

yeah it is a right bugger to fit had to grind of my spanner at work to get to the ****er:tongueout: all i did was remove pipes and squeese my a spanner at 1/4 of a turn :tongueout: could of moved more things out way to make it easier but that would be boring :wink:

Reverse switch from ford, probaly about £10 lol. Reverse switch from renault, probaly about £80 lol :tongueout: Finance avaliable though.

Thanks for all your help guys, found my radio code :smile:

So next weekend going to drive to Renault and see what the crack is as my 197 is now out of warranty by 2 months :worried:

hey jam, did you get this sorted? both my reverse lights have just stopped working

Hi mate not yet - I went to section to order the switch - however they do not stock just waiting for them to get it in still :@!

Ill let you know asap - check your fuses in engine bay