Why do people buy akrapovic?

JamesB

Platinum Member
I'm not intentionally trying to cause a stir but... Why do people buy exhausts such as the akrapovic evo, there are many small companies that will build systems for you and build it exactly as you want it for half the price? I've recenty been quoted 475 for a ful system and i got to choose everything, tips, noise level etc? It seems mental that people pay £900+ for the akrapovic.

just my opinion, feel free to discuss..

It's one of the biggest known manufacturers of exhausts, your guaranteed supreme quality, it's the nicest sounding exhaust ive heard in person, they have a good reputation amongst owners of them and you know exactly what you are getting.

I'm not convinced tbh, why settle for what someone else has when you can choose everything yourself.. these companies are making one offs its not just mass produced so the quality is still there

I got quotes from a couple of the proper custom places and neither less than £1500. One of them actually said buy the Akra as at £1100 it's a good buy.

The Akra doesn't drone and it sounds the tits, it's also proven in performance so they have hit a great balance between silencing and performance. You go custom and you run the risk of having something either **** sounding or poor performing frankly.
I've been though a fair few exhaust parts on this car, if I'd have just bought the Akra from day 1 I'd be quids in.

these companies are making one offs its not just mass produced so the quality is still there

These companies doing custom systems for sub £500, they are not gong to be using the same quality silencers so the quality is not the same. The custom company that was honest with me and advised I just buy the Akra is using silencers costing a minimum of £250 for the smallest ones. So on a 3 box Clio system that alone is £750-£1000 on silencers before tubing and labour/fabrication etc.

If you want a decent custom system it will be at least a grand. I had a custom system made for my ford focus engined vauxhall chevette that cost 1300 with cash. 700 was for the manifold alone, so much more work goes into the manifold than the rest.

The akra was developed for the car, where as a custom one will just be bits of shiney steel bent to fit!

Not to mention tooling, r and d and miles upon miles of testing

I'drather have that than some monkey with a tig welder just bodging things together

The level of quality of the akrapovic is unrivalled

What about scorpion who have been making bike exhausts for years and also miltek who have also been making exhausts for years and who are very popular with the vag community plus ktec who develop theres on the dyno, i see where yous are coming from with quality but you get a lifetime guarantee with ether.
Yeah the akraprovic may look better ect but at the end of the day its under the car

It's the same principle with a lot of things really - e.g. why go to Barbados on holiday when you can go to Blackpool? People enjoy spending the extra amount on something they know they will enjoy and get their money's worth out of :smile:

And as has been said, the Akra is proven and well regarded - we know what we will be getting if we buy one. It all comes down to budget at the end of the day and whether we can justify the additional amount in relation to what we'll get out of it.

Milltek are nothing but the product of a well oiled marketing engine frankly. My sports cat is Milltek, not that it's fitted now the Akra is on, and I chose it because they use HJS cores which are very good - but the flange isn't even stainless, or if it is it's the lowest crapiest grade possible because it's rusted to ****. So pretty much the one thing the needed to add to it, they did poorly.

With Akra you do pay for the name sure, but it is a high quality product that fits right. Tbh it seems to bridge the gap between say proper custom built system and the average Joe setups out there.

Just to add my 5 farthings worth!!....had a cheaper brand for my mk6 golf GTI......is was a big bag of pig poo to get it to align, seal and sounded naff, finally took it off and beat the **** out of it as I didn't want to the embarrassment in selling it to anybody else.....and the brand of the exhaust was a reputed manufacturer!!

Now.....I have a fitted akro.....and boy it was a piece of cat's urine to fit, everything fitted just perfectly, the clamps where top notch and it sounds the dog's goolies!....keep looking for a second hand one, better deal and already someones carboned it up for you which makes it sound even better!