197 remap

have been looking to get a remap for my 197, wanted to know if anyone on here knows anyone in Northern Ireland who remaps 197s? also seen these tuning modules things where i buy it, plug it into my ecu then send the info to the tuner and they send me back a custom map that i can load up on to my ecu?? are these any good?? also what gains will i get from a remap?? the can is standard and i intend to keep it that way apart from a remap for the next year or so, as currently trying to save for a house, so i have allowed myself one upgrade, and a remap seems as though it will give the most bhp, so have decided to get one. thanks in advance :jase2:

Personally I would stay far away from does modules. Really don't like the idea that a person 500-600km, even more, away would remap my car. He doesn't know the quality of fuel in my area and can't really make a custom map cause every car performs differently.

If I would go for a mod it wouldn't be a remap. Without any mods a tuner can only reduce the factory safety limitations of the engine parameters. It's not a turbo-engine :biggrin: as for the gains look here - http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=803&highlight=dyno

Stock result : 189hp and 191Nm
Modified result (software tune) : 193,5hp and 201Nm

For a NA engine that's pretty good actually :w00t:

I'd go for some good tyres :hug:

Last edited:
did your remap make much difference to the way the car drives Ozi??

I didn't remap mine. Got the numbers from user - DerAbt. Wouldn't remap mine as I know what has to be changed to get gains. Because Renault's engines are set to a pretty safe AFR the first thing is to reduce the amount of fuel that's squirted into the cylinders. For that you need to have the car on a dyno or rolling road map it cause you want to come close to a stoichiometric air-fuel mixture but don't want to over do it. There still has to be a safety margin and the AFR must be a bit rich so the cylinders are cooled (especially if you hammer it) but not to much. This is the reason why remapped cars that are driven normally can use less fuel. You don't wanna mess with this around if your not actually in the car and have the lambda readings infront of you.

The second thing is the ignition timing. Most tuners just advance it a bit from the stock value but that's not right. You need to know the actual compression ratio of the car, shape of the internal parts, what kind of fuel does it use (will use in the future) and if the engine is prone to detonation. The less octane the fuel has the more it's likely to detonate. You can't guess this. It's more of a trial and error thing and the best way is to use a detonation detector - basically just a microphone attached to the engine's block with your ears on the headphones or connected to a computer / program which is searhing for a pattern that is known to be from a detonation. This is your biggest worry - detonation (apart from low oil pressure but that's another topic lol). If this happens you can wrack the engine in a second. This can happen if carbon deposits in the engine get really hot when your hammering it, if the shape of the internals has edges or something similar that could cause a detonation or you use poor fuel etc. Being an naturally aspirated engine it has no intercooler so the air that is sucked in is pretty hot (also depends on where you live) and this too can cause detonation.

Modern engine design is influenced by these things as is the programing of the EMS. It has to have some margin for error like really hot places, poor fuel, short trips (engine not getting warm / not all the fuel is getting burned / carbon deposits),....some Mitsubishi Evos were detuned for use in countries with poor fuel or where it's really hot.

My Alfa 156 1.6TS was remapped on a dyno. The difference was noticable but not worth the money - and this wasn't a factory tuned engine like the one in a 197. From my experience the best mod for a NA engine is at least a wild intake cam combined with a good exhaust manifold and then remapped. Everything else is like pissing against the wind - sure it's fun at the beginning but at the end you still got some pee on your pants :tongueout: probably a bad comparisment lol the 197 has some pretty wild cams stock (just look at the idle of the car or where it has peak power) and a very good 4-2-1 exhaust manifold. So I'd rather spend money on some really sticky tyres :wink: