200 gearbox oil

Evening all,

Can someone recommend a good gearbox oil for the clio 200? Is the standard renault stuff ok?

Perhaps an oil change won't do it any harm after 21k miles and a few track/driving days. I had a brilliant day of driving over in North Wales yesterday. The box this morning, admittedly when cold, seems to be overly stiff when engaging first gear?

Thanks.

Have a look on Opie Oils website, if you select your car it'll give you the options you have.

There's loads of opinions on here about what's best. I currently use Fuchs Titan Sintofluid. Not sure if it's the best available, or what benefits you'd get from something else but it works and is suggested by Opie

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-981-fuc...w-80-synthetic-manual-transmission-fluid.aspx

I used this in my old 197, Seemed to help a great deal with the cold start and synchro issues common on the gearboxes.

Thanks chaps. I did find quite a bit after a search. I'm new to this clio game and from what i have read, reliability issues are a little common of the gearbox. I will let you know how I get on.

Lee

just bin the renault oil and put in some fully synthetic oil its the least these gearboxes need :bash:

I was thinking of changing mine as a hopefully preventative measure. What I would be concerned about is I guess Renault would wash their hands of any issues as a change of oil from their own would give them an easy getout. Would they be able to tell if it had been changed, then changed back in the event of a problem?

I was thinking of changing mine as a hopefully preventative measure. What I would be concerned about is I guess Renault would wash their hands of any issues as a change of oil from their own would give them an easy getout. Would they be able to tell if it had been changed, then changed back in the event of a problem?

yes probably..

yes probably..

This is what I was thinking myself that's why I still haven't changed the oil. My car is still covered by the extended warranty and my gearbox sounds/feels nice. So i won't bother really, what do they say?

''Don't fix it if it hasn't broken yet''!

Unless a form of torque seal was used then no they couldn't tell without having a chemical analysis carried out on the oil.. -which they won't

If you changed it to a 'better' oil and still had a failure, you could refill with the original and when take it in. Like Shakey says unless you mullered the filler or drain plug how could they tell? Unless, they analysed the oil and could tell its new.
This is what I love about this no win scenario. You can extend your warranty at nearly £400 a year in case it goes, not bother, or put a better oil in and hope it helps avoid any issues. If it still happens, you could get caught with the 'wrong' oil in the box. Catch 22 anyone?

I think perhaps the viscosity of the oil has the biggest impact on the feel of the box as apposed to "decent" oil, although obviously manufacturers have a slightly different/additive formula. A slightly thinner oil during cold running should improve the boxes shift quality, hence the multigrade oils being suggested. Can anyone tell me what the viscosity (without going home to have a look tomorrow in the handbook) of the Renault oil is?

TW