2007 197 Headlights/UPC fault (not UCH)

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem;

-Lock car, lights stay on, won't go off, and it’s not just the 'follow me home' lights function.
-Lock car, lights possibly come on at a later stage

Both leading to completely draining the battery by the next morning.

It’s happened four times in the past two months. Once I noticed the car outside the house with the lights back on and was able to go out to it and fiddle with the light stalk and key fob lock until the car was locked with the lights off again. I've had the dead battery because of it twice, so either they stayed on when I locked the car and I didn't notice, or they came on afterwards of their own accord. And only once I noticed them staying on after I locked the car, again I had to try for ages with light stalk to get them off.

Now, I didn't even know that this car had the 'follow me home' function until I read some of your threads about it. They state that the full beam needs to be pulled once before getting out of the car (ignition on or off? I haven't tried it yet). But what I have noticed is that the full beam is not working properly. Sometimes I operate it and it does not work, sometimes it flickers until it works or doesn't, the rest of the time it is ok. Basically the full beam is just inconsistent.

So, putting two and two together I've come to the conclusion that either the stalk is faulty, the VCH or one of the relays possibly?

I'd like to avoid leaving it with the mean dealers as it sounds like a rare problem that they might take ages to solve. If I do need to bring it to them, I'd at least like to be able to direct them towards the main cause.

Does anyone have some experience of what the problem or solution may be?

I've had the car since early 2008, and with the exception of the hub carrier ball joints, it has been pretty much flawless until this.

Thanks in advance to anyone with any information

Last edited:
Just an update;

Had the car down with the main dealers for a disgnostic check. I'm informed I need a new UPC versus a new UCH (which I thought would be the problem). Can anyone advise of any cost saving shortcuts, i.e. a rebuild etc.

The lights had constantly started coming on when the car was not running or parked up. With the engine turned off, I noticed a buzz (that sounded like a small motor) coming from under the air intake nozzle, but it was obviously something malfunctioning in the UPC.

I'd appreciate if anyone could share their experience/remedy with this fault.

Just buy a UPC a used one should work it's not a rare problem with Clio 3 at all not 100% but any Clio 3 one should work (I can check part numbers Monday )

Reactions: dub197
Sorry guys, never knew that some of you had asked about this since. I've a big explanation for anyone interested so let me know if you want it, but I'll save myself the time if you had it sorted in the since.

Reactions: Adriansm
Sorry guys, never knew that some of you had asked about this since. I've a big explanation for anyone interested so let me know if you want it, but I'll save myself the time if you had it sorted in the since.
@dub197 Hi. I have the same exact problem. Could you please let me know how you fixed it? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dub197
@dub197 Hi. I have the same exact problem. Could you please let me know how you fixed it? Thanks

Long story made short, I think that it was a half blown/faulty passenger side bulb. I had been using the Philips (Nightvision ?). It finally blew when I dropped the car down to my mate for his brother (an electrical engineer) to strip the fuse box for testing. He stripped the box anyway and it was perfect. Changed bulb and touch wood the car has been flawless since.