200t clocking noise on full lock straightening up

As title says really.

For example:

Turning right out of our drive (slow speed manoeuvre), steering on full right lock and as you straighten up, the steering doesn't really self centre. You have to sort of feed it through your hands a bit and there is a loud clonking noise and a vibration through the steering wheel (I am turning slightly uphill turning out of our drive). It's also like something is under tension and then goes "twang". But once on the move, it feels and drives fine... and you then sort of forget about it. Not aware it does it during normal driving.
I'll have to have a play about with it and see if it effects turning both ways and if it's easily reproducible.

Anyone got any suggestions?
Should I be worried?

PS. Due it's first service in a couple of months time. And car currently has 10.5k on the clock (car just over 7 months old).

Last edited:
Sounds like a strut top bearing noise. Again has been common enough on the Clio 4, I'd be getting it checked out ASAP though as the last time we replaced them through warranty they where on back order for ages.

Thanks for that.

I'll have a play around tomorrow and see if it effects turning both right and left. And check how easy it is to reproduce the problem. Certainly does it every time I turn right out of our drive at low speed.

Cars... always something to go wrong :blush:hmy:

It was you mentioning the "twang" noise that makes me pretty confident that it's the strut top bearings. It'll only get worse through time too as the bearing completely collapse.

Thanks for that.

I'll have a play around tomorrow and see if it effects turning both right and left. And check how easy it is to reproduce the problem. Certainly does it every time I turn right out of our drive at low speed.

Cars... always something to go wrong :blush:hmy:

Does it do it on full lock all the time? Like driving around multi-stories and parking etc?

I ask as the Megs wheels skip about a bit on full(ish) lock which is just down to the steering geometry not running exactly parallel (ackerman) and it's made worse in the cold and wet. So it could be nothing.

Does it do it on full lock all the time? Like driving around multi-stories and parking etc?

I ask as the Megs wheels skip about a bit on full(ish) lock which is just down to the steering geometry not running exactly parallel (ackerman) and it's made worse in the cold and wet. So it could be nothing.

Thanks for the reply.

Not quite sure yet. I'll have a play around tomorrow and report back. Don't have any multi-story car parks round here, the joys of living in the middle of nowhere.

PS. "ackerman"?

Starting to think I might be just looking for issues that are not there.
Tried messing around in an empty car-park today and no way can I reproduce it on the flat. Just seems to occur when pulling onto say a main road and you are on a slight slope. Not just a slight noise, I think anyone would think WTF. Never experienced it before with other cars, probably around a dozen different motors over the last 20 years.

So starting to wonder if GrumpyTwig is onto something here.

Think I'll just keep an eye on it and if still worried come the first service, I will mention it to the garage. Unless it becomes more of an issue. car drives fine otherwise.

Thanks for the assistance folks :thumbup:

Mike does it, it's just the front sliding on full lock, as the steering seems to have quite a bit of lock on it. I have had my tracking done and set to 1.0mm toe in, it was 2.4mm and it is not as bad now. When the wheels are on full lock there is very little contact on the tyre surface, due to camber changes, Ackerman angles etc, which increase on full lock, so I think it is the inside wheel skipping. As I said earlier I have had the tracking reset to 1mm, so your car might be out as well and mine is not as bad as it was. It was worse on damp/wet roads.

Only a thought, yours might just be broken.

Mine does it when I reverse of drive on full lock. It's one of the wheels slipping across the road.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C200MOJO Spotted 0
Nickyandalanrs200 Clio 200T Area 2
PpAbarth Spotted 0
PpAbarth New Members 0
PpAbarth Clio 200T Area 1