2017 season race car

Hi all,

Thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Andrew, from Wakefield. I've been on the Cliosport forum for a while, with my 172 cup, which I race with the Tricolore Trophy guys. I'm almost at the end of my first season, and absolutely loving racing! This is my current race car:

c20a6ceebd28b4cefc799de0f21d6526.jpg
26dfc3947c0ccc77f4d382aac5021c8f.jpg

So, my plan is to keep this car for next season, but have bought a 197 for the 2017 season. I thought it may be interesting for everyone if I started a progress thread. Not sure how often I'll be doing work on it over the next year, but when I do, I'll try keep it up to date.

So, the car:

d8ee8c81b421748e395e898d57141333.jpg
bbf4f4405ebd6f113c2667c33978ba45.jpg
fe9789db7cda27131d638aac913f596a.jpg

Currently, I'm pretty sure it's completely standard. And if I'm honest, the pictures make it look better than it actually is! There are a few marks here and there, the passenger needs looking at, and the boot doesn't currently open!

I'm going to be using it as my daily for the next twelve months, with the hope that I get a good feel for the car. As I go through next year, I'll be starting with the upgrades.

I have already sorted out new bushes, and ordered the new exhaust system, which I'm having fitted next week by RS Tuning in Leeds, along with a Map, to get rid of the god awful flat spots!

I've also order a Speed booster (think that's what it's called), although RS have advised I stick it in the bin, as they are useless! I'd appreciate others opinion on this!

I was originally going to move down to Production Class (class E) with this car, as they seem pretty good to start with, but as I'm currently in Class A, I feel as though I'd be missing out!

Anyway, I'll up date as soon as something interesting happens :smile:

Cheers

Andrew

Welcome to the forum Andrew :smile:

I think you're referring to the Sprint Booster?? If so, you'll only find positive reports on here about them, they're a really popular mod!

Welcome to the forum.

Seen this on CS already!

I loved my sprint booster, and only see positive comments about them, so not sure where that comment comes from.

welcome along..nice cars..
as Chris above..not sure how effective the sprint booster will be after you have had it mapped but mine is absolutely vital...
great stuff...

Hi all,

Thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Andrew, from Wakefield. I've been on the Cliosport forum for a while, with my 172 cup, which I race with the Tricolore Trophy guys. I'm almost at the end of my first season, and absolutely loving racing! This is my current race car:

c20a6ceebd28b4cefc799de0f21d6526.jpg
26dfc3947c0ccc77f4d382aac5021c8f.jpg

So, my plan is to keep this car for next season, but have bought a 197 for the 2017 season.

if you want to part with this sooner.......drop us a pm

Thanks for the messages. Krash67, I've too much invested in my current car to sell it, and need to get some more value out of it!

Thanks for the welcomes everyone. And good that the Sprint booster isn't a waste of money:smile:. Do they still make a,difference with a Map? I actually thought that a good map would get ride of the flat spots anyway?

Thanks for the welcomes everyone. And good that the Sprint booster isn't a waste of money:smile:. Do they still make a,difference with a Map? I actually thought that a good map would get ride of the flat spots anyway?

The Sprint Booster improves the throttle response so afaik wouldn't make a difference with a map or not. But yes, a good map would get rid of the flat spots :smile:

Sprint boosters are the biggest pile of AIDS there is, just put your foot down a bit further! It can't improve "response", it just makes the ECU think the throttle is wider than the amount your foot has depressed the throttle by. That is not DBW throttle lag.
Anyway throttles aren't supposed to be binary, progressive and modulated is what they should be. If you want to imporve response then frankly you ditch the ECU and stick a cable throttle in there.

put aside all these technical specs mate..get one and drive your car with it and then remove it for a few days..then you will see the diff for yourself..i got mine for about £100 secondhanded so wont break your bank..and if you feel like there is no diff whatsoever you can sell it..bet it will get sold in no time as people are after these toys...

Why would I ignore the tech specs, it's like the Jesus brigade saying ignore science!

Anywho standalone and cable throttle for me.

Isn't it a big job to change the cable throttle and ecu? I will be putting a standalone ECU in when I convert it, but wasn't looking to do that yet

Big job, hopefully not. Expensive job, yes.

Just going through the final plans but be not that much change from 2k if you want an ECU to retain CANbus integration etc for working with stock dials etc.
About 1k for ecu, 500 mapping, parts which will be cup racer pedal and bits, not priced those yet but probably 1-200 all in with bracket and cable I would think.

I've got a typhoon ECU in my 172, and have a mate who races a 197 with the same. I'd probably go down that route again, as it seems to work well for me. When I put the Throttle Bodies on, I changed the throttle cable and ECU at the same time. I'm sure it was around £1500, plus the bodies.

Yeah so I'm pretty sure you need the Tornado 2 ECU on the mk3 to retain the dash and also dbw (though I'm thinking I will ditch it from day 1 even on single TB - not 100% on that yet), but hence why it'll be closer to 2k, but yep probably about £1600 is what I'm hoping to do it for.

Who did you get to map the Typhoon out of interest? SC are ignoring my emails so trying to get the last 10% of info I need to buy the thing and fit it is proving difficult!

DBW throttle programming in Clio 197/200 is hopeless, You put Your foot down and ECU decides for You if You need 100% throttle or less and If You still floor it then after a while gives You wide open throttle - that's most annoying thing from day 1 I bought my Clio. Now I have Cup racer pedal, throttle body and inlet manifold (stock one won't fit plug and play, so one can machine it to instal cable throttle body or buy a Clio X85 Cup manifold, which i did) so hopefully will solve that issue (waiting for new complete wiring loom to be made and new ECU installed).
BDW. Cup racer throttle body with cable and TPS sensor is c.a. 280 EUR, pedal c.a. 140 EUR and inlet manifold - upper part is c.a. 230 EUR. Prices excluding VAT

I guess with a standalone ECU you won't have those ECU issues, you'll have a proper proportional pedal/throttle, albeit DBW not cable based.

My thoughts for cable conversion on the throttle body were; I seem to remember our throttle body is the same part number as the Mk2 182 throttle body, and the 182 shares the same inlet I think as the Ph1 172. As the ph1 172 has a cable pedal and throttle body it therefore should fit... maybe!?

Not researched this yet, however on the prices you have quoted if I were to need Cup Racer parts, then I would keep DBW to start with, or just go straight to ITB's from day 1.

I guess with a standalone ECU you won't have those ECU issues, you'll have a proper proportional pedal/throttle, albeit DBW not cable based.

My thoughts for cable conversion on the throttle body were; I seem to remember our throttle body is the same part number as the Mk2 182 throttle body, and the 182 shares the same inlet I think as the Ph1 172. As the ph1 172 has a cable pedal and throttle body it therefore should fit... maybe!?

Not researched this yet, however on the prices you have quoted if I were to need Cup Racer parts, then I would keep DBW to start with, or just go straight to ITB's from day 1.
Yea, with standalone responsiveness of DBW throttle can be tuned, not sure though if it would feel as direct as cable setup, although I discovered one further advantage of cable over DBW: You can install and adjust pedal the way You want it so it's easier to heel&toe.
I couldn't agree more with You with regards to ITB's and RenaultSport prices, I got Cup racer parts for cheap (175 EUR for whole lot) out of a race car so there was no question about it.

DBW throttle programming in Clio 197/200 is hopeless, You put Your foot down and ECU decides for You if You need 100% throttle or less and If You still floor it then after a while gives You wide open throttle - that's most annoying thing from day 1 I bought my Clio. Now I have Cup racer pedal, throttle body and inlet manifold (stock one won't fit plug and play, so one can machine it to instal cable throttle body or buy a Clio X85 Cup manifold, which i did) so hopefully will solve that issue (waiting for new complete wiring loom to be made and new ECU installed).
BDW. Cup racer throttle body with cable and TPS sensor is c.a. 280 EUR, pedal c.a. 140 EUR and inlet manifold - upper part is c.a. 230 EUR. Prices excluding VAT

What's DBW and BDW?