Adam's 197 Clio

So the car keeps chucking itself into limp mode and coming up with Check Injection.

Plugged the car in it had the following faults coming up:
Throttle Body Unit
Camshaft Sensor
Something to do with Decat.

But also when putting your foot down it is not revving properly and is restrictive, its an intermittent fault, sometimes does it sometimes not but most of the time the restrictive problem happens and it also sounds like it is running rough when in the higher end of the rev range which is why i was trying to upload a video to see if you could hear it too.

Is it worth changing camshaft sensor?

I don't think they cost that much and from what I've read on here it's relatively easy to replace.

Managed to upload it to youtube

Hope you can also tell that it isnt running freely through the rev range and can also hear the engine not sounding to good either

I have to say: upto 6.5k ish when you throttled back (?) it looked and sounded ok to me. Slow to rev at first....VVT kicked in around 5....and then it took off ?

Never the same seeing on video is it.........

I will try to get a video up tomorrow of it revving freely, hopefully will be able to tell then, but as you say hard to tell on a video.

When its revving freely too you can also hear the difference in sound

Are you sure it's not just running the cold map settings? Was the video taken with a semi-cold engine?

Try leaving car running with engine on for few minutes next time before you drive and see if this makes a difference?

Also got a problem when turning the steering wheel (usually stood still or at slow speeds) it makes a horrific noise like something is dry! :-( not going well for me at the min!

Are you sure it's not just running the cold map settings? Was the video taken with a semi-cold engine?

Try leaving car running with engine on for few minutes next time before you drive and see if this makes a difference?

Car was fully warm, i had been driving for at least 20 mins and had been giving it a bit before this happend.

Could it be possible that its dropping into the cold map setting? Never knew it had 2 settings to be honest.

Also got a problem when turning the steering wheel (usually stood still or at slow speeds) it makes a horrific noise like something is dry! :-( not going well for me at the min!

Is it like a grinding/squeaky noise? This usually indicates bottom ball joints on way out I believe.

Reactions: lewisflintham
Cold map just runs very rich. Most modern cars have a fuel enrichment system to get the cats warmed up and working properly so they burn cleanly quicker.

One of the reasons Clio's are so bad from cold.

Dont think its anything to do with the map to be honest, as it happend before and then when i stopped the car and restarted the engine is was fine again.

Sounds exactly like that!

Yeah unfortunately that's bottom ball joint, will need replacing.

If you take it to a garage though they will try and replace the whole unit instead of just the hub but you can get them separate. Give me a minute I'll try find a thread with more info for you!

Dont think its anything to do with the map to be honest, as it happend before and then when i stopped the car and restarted the engine is was fine again.

If it goes away after restating engine, after reading a lot of threads on here, it indicates a faulty camshaft sensor, which would make sense as you said that was one of the error codes.

Thanks Dystant thats great!

Do you think it will be ok driving with it like this for a while!

I will try replace the camshaft sensor then and see if that solves it! - Would this also chuck it into limp mode?

Thanks Dystant thats great!

Do you think it will be ok driving with it like this for a while!

I will try replace the camshaft sensor then and see if that solves it! - Would this also chuck it into limp mode?

Im not sure if it's dangerous driving like that or not, but I personally wouldn't leave it too long.

Yeah threads I've seen about faulty Camshaft sensor have said that they felt loss of power through whole rev range, with power returning when restarting the car.

Im not sure if it's dangerous driving like that or not, but I personally wouldn't leave it too long.

Yeah threads I've seen about faulty Camshaft sensor have said that they felt loss of power through whole rev range, with power returning when restarting the car.

Got MOT in Jan so will have to sort it out anyway, but just thinking will it get me through to Mid Jan.

Can you get the parts from Eurocarparts?

Got MOT in Jan so will have to sort it out anyway, but just thinking will it get me through to Mid Jan.

Can you get the parts from Eurocarparts?

Yeah it will fail an MOT with ball joints like that, mine failed for that exact reason last month.

Not sure on where you can get the part from however though mate as mine was covered under Dealership warranty so they sorted it for me.

Similar Thread Suggestions