Advice please on cambelt,aux & waterpump change??

Dear All,

Happy New Year to you all, hope you had a fantastic christmas. :smile:

I have a 06 plate albi 197 with 37k just shy of 38k on clock. I bought it off Morty197 earlier in the year and very pleased with it indeed. Don't get me wrong there are a few negatives about the clio like most people on here have highlighted the usual 3rd gear syncro crunching etc but overall very happy still. :smile:

Anyway morty197 didn't really do many miles in it tbh as he worked local and tbh he kept it absolutely spotless. :smile:

I only work 10mins from home so roughly I do around 12miles a day. I do go on the motorway once maybe twice a month at most to either racing, motorsport event (BTCC mainly) , or general day out but majority of driving is urban.

I know the guideline for a cambelt aux, and waterpump change is 72k if not every 5yrs whichever comes first. I ideally want to leave my big change until 45k if I can. The only thing that is in the back of my mind is I know 2 people have had blown engines in their 197 one with 26k (conrod failier I think) on it and one had 40k roughly around my kind of mileage tht I have now and I don't want mine going as I don't think RUK would help me if I don't follow guidelines?? (over 5years nw)

I don't know what to do, do I get it changed at around 40k or wait for 45k to arrise due to the low mileage and short distance travelling I mainly do.

I am aiming to do a few trackdays for first time in a non race car this year so I will be more causious with it being my own road car. I have also taken this into consideration as well.

The last thing I want to happen is because the clio's have short ratio boxes and high reving engines I don't want belts to go:bye2:

I would appreciate all your feedback.

Cheers guys. :thumbup:

Chris

I'd get it done now if only for piece of mind - I'm onto my 3rd set in my '02 172 and it's only done about 40,000 miles. I've heard of a few RS Clio's with snapped belts and stuffed motors as a result of not getting it done on time. Put it this way, you might be lucky but then again, you might not.

Cheers for your advice guys it's much appreciated. :smile: As I'm sure you can imagine it's a job that has to be done and does play on your mind when the time comes as you think it's lot of money shall I risk it or not.

I am swaying towards getting it done now ive got your advice, just to cover myself and have piece of mind especially when giving the car a blast. I would like to wait until 40k on clock with it being the nearest 10 but sods law it will go at 39k and my car has 38014k at present.

I remember getting a quote for the above to get changed at my local dealers (martins renault) in Basingstoke they were charging around £850-£900 approximate which I know it's a Clio sport but considering 2 ppl on here got a new engine fully fitted and with 12months warranty for £1300 i think Martins are ripping me off. I mean my dad has a VW 2.0 TDI passat and they gt cambelt, aux and waterpump for £600 i think if not £550 through dealers.

I've heard RenTech in Portsmouth r gd both price wise & service. Has anyone used them?

I'll probably give them a call and see what they quote me I'm sure not as much as dealers?

I am have been thinking I'd rather pay around £500 for job to be done, rather than £2000 for new engine.

Chris

Last edited:
Exactly. The belts perish over time, so no matter what mileage you do, at some point, they will snap. Get it done NOW.

Yeah ur right mate. I have had a look at the timing belt goin from alternator and it's gt a brown line along centre I dnt know if that's wear and tare like u said or just the ridge on centre of pulley going along the belt?

I'm going to see how much RenTech in Portsmouth charge for this change and go from there. :smile:

Please keep your advice coming :smile:

I live in the Essex area, anyone in my location know of a good dealer to get the cam belt done. Please don't say Toomy's.

Pete

AMD at Lakeside?

To be honest, you'll be better off buying the parts (From Karl) and just going to a decent garage. Phone around for labour charges and go from there.