Advice please :) waxin

Looking to a really decent paint finish on my AG 200 and have read about people using a wax and a sealant .... Now do you wax and seal ? Or do you seal then wax ? Or just use one or the other ?
Cheers guys Rich

There loads of stuff out there now to do your car I use just the nano sealent stuff but you need to get your paint work spot on first.Do you have a polishing machine ???

You don't need to wax if you put sealent on as you just keep building up thesealant

I don't have a machine purely because i enjoy putting the time and effort into it :thumbup:so you saying its one or the other then Roy ?

Usually a wax or a sealant, there's hundreds to choose from! If you want something you can go and get off the shelf then autoglym HD wax is good stuff.

A good wax finish is only as good as the surface prep. Use a good cleansing polish first, either by hand or with a machine. Wax or sealant layer on top.

I have AG, I find the best results are with a sealant, especially for the flake pop which I've found is the best for AG paint. I clean, clay, polish (once a year), seal, QD. And the best products for AG I've used are Auto Finesse Tough Prep, Tough Coat ( 3 layers ), then finish up with Finale QD. For a quick polish before using Tough Coat, use Tripple instead of Tough Prep, that works well. The 3 layers of Tough Coat will see about 4-5 months of protection

As per above.

Get the paint as clean as possible first and it will look better and last longer.

The general rule of thumb is that the top layer will only really last MAX as long as the layer below. So if you use a wax and then sealant, the sealant will 'drop off' as soon as the wax does. Therefore a 12+ sealant on top of a 3 month wax will last 3 months lol

Most people usually choose one or the other. On lighter cars sealant is usually a better option. I'll be running a sealant with a wax 'show' layer.
In this case the wax will drop off after a few months but I'll still have a sealant under there for a long while. The advantage is that you tend to lengthen the longevity of the sealant as the wax take the brunt of it...It will be very minimal though.

Best bet is to use a fairly fine polish (ideally a cleanser) to cleanse the paint. The problem with most polishes as they usually add a layer of protection...very small but it's there. If you cant get a cleanser then you can use a polish and try to strip the layer off. The best best is panel wipe or 10% isopropanol alcohol solution. I guess you won't have access to this so you can do it with a wash down with washing up liquid...As long as you are make sure you rinse thoroughly then you'll be ok.

After that, you should have an Excellent stage for your protection. I'd go wax, sealant or sealant then wax.

I hope that helps?

Last edited:
For me Summer is Wax, Winter Sealant unless you have a very durable wax. Just tends to make it easier when prepping for winter in the freezing cold, nice touch of tough coat in October / November then out comes poor boys or a Waxybox sample in April.

If your going to layer a sealant and wax, then make sure its always sealant 1st and then wax on top, the other way round and the two won't bond together.

Ive tried sealant but find wax gives a better result. Ive always seen it as one or the other.

If you want a really smart finish, Clay, then Polish, then glaze, then wax, thats the most success I've had.

Collinite 476 is one of the best for the money, easy to apply and remove.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/collinite-476s-super-doublecoat-auto-wax/prod_207.html

For a glaze I would recommend poor boys black hole, its designed for dark vehicles but works equally well on other colours (aside from maybe very bright colours, white etc)