Alloy wheels

Hi All

I am by no means a 'detailer' but I clean my car to the best of my limited knowledge. I will soon be looking at getting into the whole claying / machine polishing / snow foam thing, but hey I digress..

Anyway, when I clean my anthracite alloys im never really happy with the finish. Sure they are squeeky clean and free from grime (as far as I can see) but they don't really have that 'shine'. Infact in recent times I have noticed a dulling of the finish and this is concerning me a little bit.

I currently use good old fashioned car shampoo (usually turtle wax stuff) and AG Wheel Cleaner. How can I get that shine please?

Thanks

When they are clean, give them a couple of coats of Poorboys wheel sealant. Top stuff and brings a nice shine to them

if you dont want to use a special wheel wax (and i dont) just use the wax you use on the bodywork :thumbup1:

Its sounds to me like you need to polish your wheels. Give the wheels a really good clean with something that has a bit of strength ie bilberry, wonder wheels etc. Then clay bar them to remove all the tars and bits stuck to the surface.

Once thats done you need to polish them, like you would the bodywork. Dependin on how bad they are affects what polish you use. If they are only a little dull then try something like Autoglym Super Resin Polish or Poorboys SSR1.5. If the wheels are very dull use something like Poorboys SSR2.5 or Meguiars Scratch X. This should restore the shine to your wheels.

Once thas done get yourself a tub of Poorboys wheel sealant and get 3 layers on pronto. It will protect all the hard work you put in to get them shiny again. The important thing to remember with wheel sealant is that you shouldn't need agressive cleaner, shamppo and a pressure washer should be enough. More agressive cleaners will strip the wax off a lot faster:thumbup:

Oh and if your really committed (sad) like me you'll take the wheel off and do them inside and out

As said, it doesn't need to be expensive to clean and protect your wheels, but if you haven't done them in a while, you may need to spend some time claying and polishing them.

I've always loved AutoGlym Super Resin Polish on my wheels, and now follow it with Planet Polish Wheel Seal and Shine (which is the stuff that Steve is referring to above).

It really is the best and easiest to use wheel sealant I've come across so far:

http://www.planetpolish.com/index.p...reviews_id=7&zenid=9jqb0o51gi13iqom8vsrmu1v41

If you don't like it, I'll buy it off you...

Then, once sealed, they should stay protected for 2-3 months (depending on mileage) and can be washed just by pressure washer and car shampoo - no need for aggressive wheel cleaners.

Cheers,

Russ.

Use autoglym extra gloss protection, it help to protect the wheels in all weather & winter too. Put autoglym extra gloss protection on the wheels & leave it for 1hr. Then wipe it off with soft cloth.