Another "Mike" thread: Life in the Universe

Mike

Gestapo
Platinum Member
I am just watching "How the Universe Works" on National Georgraphic +1 channel, and they were explaining facts about our galaxy - the Milky Way. It is 100.000 light years across - so about 946.080.000.000.000.000 KM across - tiny compared to some galaxies. The Milky Way contains between 200 billion to 400 billion; 200.000.000.000 to 400.000.000.000 stars, the biggest galaxy observed is in the Abell 2029 structure and contains 100 trillion 100.000.000.000.000 stars.

Now, there are about 100 billion; 100.000.000.000 galaxies in the Universe, and astronomers reckon there are about 100.000.000.000.000.000.000.000.000 stars in the universe (1024)

There MUST be other life out there, it is simply impossible that there isn't. :smile::smile::smile:

Now that I have bored you to death with all that stuff, there is a super massive black hole at the centre of our galaxy that everything is spiralling in towards, but don't worry, the sun will die long before it gets anywhere near the black hole. Black hole is somewhere between 3.2 million and 4 million solar masses.

There you go, I have probably bored you all to death, but I love this kind of awesome thing :smile::smile::smile:

We both love astronomy and astro physicy stuff, it really interested me.

And I refuse to believe we are the only life in the universe, we simply can't be

yep there is normal people like us
then there are corsa vxr people lol
there from another planet

Dude that's something I never knew. Interesting too read actually. But I'm the same I just simply refuse to believe that we are the only life form living!

I truly believe that there is no way that earth is the only planet that has some kinds of life on it.

I was reading a really interesting box the other month about the universe. The whole time bending like gravity is really tricky to get your head round, and mind job that is light speed and traveling faster than it lol

The "Rockstar Pysician" Brian Cox did a superb series recently based on stuff like this.

One of the most interesting things on the series was that we dont have to look as far as you think for "alien" lifeforms, as we naturally assume that "their" planets will be the same as ours and a few clicks over the horizon.

Whats was explained is the Earth is a water based planet/atmosphere, so the conditions are perfect for water to survive as a gas, solid and a liquid all at the same time (i forget the scientific term) which effectively supports life.

Then they showed you a moon from Saturn or Neptune maybe and it had a Methane based atmosphere, where methane existed in the 3 states of matter, but a probe that had been sent there sent pictures back and the surface looked uncannily like Earth where glaciers and similar had shaped the land. And there may just be a form of life that is capable of living in a different element but effectively identical conditions.

Also there are some lifeforms on earth that live in a sulphur based sub-atmosphere in some caves in Mexico called Snotites (lol!) but they dont exists in the atmosphere we know.... and we couldnt survive in theirs... :wink:

there was me just gonna go to bed and all. Id think it sad if we were the only planet with life on it. Everythings a numbers game and if were the 1 out of how many space rocks there are floating around thats just ****.

Who here believes the Americans went to the moon ?

There is no chance we are the only planet with life on it. Look at the figures. I don't believe for one minute that there are forms of life with spaceships that can travel the speed of light, but I firmly believe there are planets out there with life on them like ours.

Imagine if we found some, how awesome!

Landing on the moon? Yeah I believe in that!

I also read in a book recently that mathmaticians have worked out that there is a similar ammount of grains of sand on planet earth as there are stars in the univers also 10^24

I also read in a book recently that mathmaticians have worked out that there is a similar ammount of grains of sand on planet earth as there are stars in the univers also 10^24

Quite a fact too that is. Gives you an idea doesn't it lol.

I am sure you have all been to a massive sandy beach. Imagine how many grains of sand on that beach, then imagine all the grains of sand in the world.

An Un-imaginable figure! :liambo:

How could they possible have a clue how many grains of sands there are on the planet lol

My problem with most of the theory on space and faster than light travel etc is that it's that's it's all theory. There so much unknown how can we have any idea what's actually right and wrong

^^^Indeed you are right....all the laws of physics are thrown out the window when it comes to black holes....not even time escapes...I cannot understand how time stops?!?!? If you could survive in a black hole, surely time would exist???