Anyone have access to CAD/CNC?

TB Rich

Paid Member
Hi guys,

Anyone here work in a shop with CNC access? I am wondering how much the following mount would cost to make, ideally some form of alloy billet - it's about 4 inches long, 2 inches wide, 2 inches high. I would need 8.

I've just been messing around in FreeCAD for now, need to mock them in wood first to check dimensions but I have no idea how much this kinda thing would cost??
They are to go between the OMP subframe and Recaro seat sliders to fix the offset issue with the seats and therefore hopefully get my stupid ******* Recaro's finally installed!!

Cheers

mount.jpg

Not the greatest to machine, you'll have issues getting the tool rad out of the corners of that pocket.

You got a drawing of it or just that model?

I got a drawing in FreeCAD I made, the exact positions on the pockets are not set out until I make my wooden mock, but it'll be close enough for representation.

The 2 pockets on the slimmer 10mm thick section go all the way through (I will run a HT bolt through) - so can be pocketed out from the other flat side? I could even not have any pockets done at CNC stage - just drill um' out after.

The thicker section pocket is for running a steel helicoil insert. And there is one on the other side not shown in drawing.

I know nothing about machining so am winging it!

I think he means the radius the tool will leave in the corners when it machines the 'pocket' out (tool dependant) anyway.
If it's not imperative in your design to have square corners then I'd spec them with a radius anyway just for strength, especially if you're wanting them made from aluminium, will be much stronger.

If you get all the sizes and things mate we use a company called instant fabrications in boyat wood for all our stuff for work so can always sort it out for you :smile:

If you get all the dimensions I can draw this for you in Solidedge and do a drawing, only take me 10 minutes and you can probably use the file in freeCAD/it can be exported more universally.
You might struggle to find somewhere to get it machined though, not many places tender for small qtys without huge prices anymore.

Last edited:
cheers guys. hopefully i'll get some exact dimensions in the next week or 2, could do with buying some digital callipers first so the bolt holes are precieisly lined up with the existing subframe holes.

I see what you mean about the square edges and no not imperative at all, I just created the triangle pieces from separate extrusions rather than pocketing hence being square against the lower section. I'd have to play around alot to work out how to make it all radius'd, but if Warren you could knock it up in Solidedge that would be sweet :smile: appreciate that.

anyone know roughly how much it would cost in a suitable material (say 6061 alloy)? As if it's loads then it's probably a dead in the water idea anyway!

I can get it done, but you need to send me the file and I'll get you a price, I would just have a radius in the end of the slot or 2 counter bored holes will be cheaper to do.

On the educational version of CAD it can't be used for CAM software due to "Educational version" being printed across the drawing in paper space. I had this problem when making some bits up at work. You would need to save the file as a DXF I believe

Cheers Womble, https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44373297/mount.FCStd

Stephen I'm using FreeCAD - not an education version or anything. freecadweb.org, file extension is .FCstd

I assumed CNC would be best as when done the measurements for the holes would be exact, but yeah milled out from a 4 inch long alloy billet would equally do the job. I mean steal and welding would do the job, I just wanted to try and keep the weight down, solid steel for the thicker section is going to weigh a bit I guess?

Oh right that should be fine then. Yeah manually milling it will probs be cheaper. To set up and program a CNC machine takes quite a while to get right, i.e setting stops and offsets. Manual milling is also more than accurate for this application, it will keep a tolerance of around 0.01mm

Ah right cool, shows how much I know - I thought you could create the model and the CNC would then make it from the file!

Sorry mate, I gave such a crap detail as my first post and forgot to come back.

CNC is good for repeatability and cycle times, for a job of this type you would need multiple setups (and therefore program's) so manual is the way forward.

Looking at the design id say that fabricating the lot would be easier and cheaper. Machine the main block, then cut out the rest and weld together, finally drill all holes.

Your best bet would be to get a drawing of the part and either go to a really small company or enthusiast with the gear to manufacture, the quantities you need wouldn't warrant a realistic price from most.

ok cool, thanks for the info. I really thought once the model was made the tools could make it! ah well, loads of engineering shops around here anyway.

cheers.

Hi, I work for a CNC company that do specials, which is small batches of 10-100, but we charge £80 per hour labour, plus material shipping packing etc, but thats because most of the stuff is for oil rigs or fire engine hoses, your model looks like it can be easily done on a manual mill, if you have sizes with tolerences that you need then that would be handy, could see whats kicking about but the chances are slim.. I would guess for two of them would be about £150-200 but its hard to say. Best idea is to get a drawing as others have said and hand it in to a firm that does it, they will have seen much much worse!