auto lights and wiper problem

Hi all. Just joined and hoping someone can help with a problem. I have searched but cant find an answer. Just bought my wife an 06 Clio initiale. Really nice car, but it has 1 or 2 problems. Main one being the auto lights and wipers. The wipers are not working in auto at all, only regular intermittent and will wipe even with a bone dry screen. The auto lights don't work. I have pressed the auto button with ignition on but engine off for 4 seconds but no message appears in display. I have checked that the rain sensor is plugged in and that there is live and earth at the plug. I am wondering if maybe the rain sensor is faulty, but would that stop the auto light message coming up on the display? Could it be that the feature has been turned off permanently by Renault? I know on Fords, disconnecting the rain sensor, makes wipers revert to normal variable intermittent, and I'm guessing Renault is the same. Any suggestions very much appreciated.
Thank you
Gary

Never seen anyone post that auto wipers/lights never come on:worried: Foxspeed will know ask him he's the clio bible :smile:

Renault must be the same, my Megane has done this ever since I removed the wiring etc for the auto lights and wipers behind the rear view mirror

You might have a faulty sensor, not sure how much they cost though.

Hopefully its as simple as changing that over and not some electrical gremlin.

I know it took me ages holding the button in to turn off the auto headlights. I'd say it was closer to 10-15 seconds than 4. As for the auto wipers I find that they are rubbish at making decisions never wiping when you want them to. Going fast when it's barely raining and slow when it's tipping it down, I personally keep them turned off and have G/Techniq glass sealant on the screen instead. The setting for the auto wipers are: full up = off, 1 click down = auto on, 2 clicks down = medium speed, and full down = fast.

Hope this helps.

Hi thanks for the replies. I have tried holding the button down for at least 20 seconds. I thought I had found the problem when I first started investigating. Someone had obviously pushed the button so hard that the plastic link inside the switch had popped off and wasn't actually pushing on the electrical contact. Refitted it but still no joy. I am going to get another sensor to try and I'll report back. Thanks again. Gary