Beat mates wrx sti

i dont kno were ppl are getting the figure 300bhp scoobys only the rb320 and subaru cosworth have power near that and more impreza STI unless i am mistaken are 260 bhp and if u catch one the right time and get by it on a twisty road then unless there is a massize straight then chances of them catching ur properly isnt very high if ur driving properly

Subaru has run 300bhp+factory output since 1997 with the type r and above this with all ppp'd sti's and wr1 cars since 2003, so with the rb320 there are a few out there, and then there's the tuned ones:bye2:

Having said that a few of my mates with scoobies(circa 320bhp) were on a run last year and they said they had to push hard to stay with a modded 182 in some sections.

Arent's scoobys/evos etc. all very understeery? Just from what I've seen they do love to nose dive a bit unless that's down to driver technique?

They're not that quick, especially on a twisty road/track. I've had plenty of playtime with Scoobies in my R27 and 200 in the last four years of ownership. Some of these are tuned ones with big exhausts etc...

The RS chassis is better by a mile! You can brake later and carve out corners quicker. The STI's have the edge in a straight line but a well run in/mainatined 197/200 won't exactly be left behind! lol

IMO opinion and experience if a clio is beating an Impreza or Evo then they are either a) not trying as hard as they could, or b) not a very good driver!

I reckon an Impreza or Evo, driven correctly (as always) are just about the quickest cars around cross country this side of a GTR or 911 Turbo. My dad in his Scooby (standrad 2005 300bhp) pisses all over any hothatch, whether its a Focus RS, Megane 250, Golf R or a Clio 200.

It will always come down to the driver (to a point).

Well I'm not sure what power the particular cars were at Cadwell the previous wednesday but both were the late 90s-2000 model Impreza and over a lap neither made much of a gap if any (other than on the straights, and one gave up in the end and pulled over presumably fed up of seeing a small white french car flying up behind them in the corners and under brakes).
As soon as we got into corners I could reel them in massively, and I'm pretty sure an RS250 would p*** all over those two with the extra straight line power.

I'm sure they're good cars but I wouldnt put them on quite such a high pedestal.

Arent's scoobys/evos etc. all very understeery? Just from what I've seen they do love to nose dive a bit unless that's down to driver technique?

As std newage imprezas are understeer biast, but thats easily dialed out with an uprated rear arb and a proper geo setup.

IMO opinion and experience if a clio is beating an Impreza or Evo then they are either a) not trying as hard as they could, or b) not a very good driver!

I reckon an Impreza or Evo, driven correctly (as always) are just about the quickest cars around cross country

Agreed.

Mum has a 2010 WRX hatch, my 197 is loads quicker through the twisty's than the WRX is (Mainly because the Rex suffers a massive lack of road feel and instills no confidence in the driver).

On the straights the Rex can pull away easily (Although if they so happen to stuff up a gear change their boost is gone, if the clio's in the 5k rev range at that moment in time itl go toe to toe until the WRX is back in its powerband

Mum has a 2010 WRX hatch, my 197 is loads quicker through the twisty's than the WRX is (Mainly because the Rex suffers a massive lack of road feel and instills no confidence in the driver).

On the straights the Rex can pull away easily (Although if they so happen to stuff up a gear change their boost is gone, if the clio's in the 5k rev range at that moment in time itl go toe to toe until the WRX is back in its powerband

What if the scoob does'nt stuff the gear change and the clio does, as i did yesturday and i said to the mrs "its got to many gears":biggrin:

the WRX is only 220bhp ish and soft and not that sporty compared to a STI, completely different animals. Not surprised the clio pisses all over it!

I reckon an Impreza or Evo, driven correctly (as always) are just about the quickest cars around cross country this side of a GTR or 911 Turbo. My dad in his Scooby (standrad 2005 300bhp) pisses all over any hothatch, whether its a Focus RS, Megane 250, Golf R or a Clio 200.

That's a bit of a generalisation that "any Impreza" is going to beat a Clio 200.

As I said in my previous post an STI is no doubt going to have a Clio 200 in a straight line but a standard WRX from 2005 which has 227bhp is not. The extra power needed to drive the 4wd chassis and the extra weight doesn't favour a WRX. The 200 would also take it to pieces in the corners.

I'd also be surprised if your dads 4wd 300bhp STI would "piss all over" a 300bhp Focus RS.

Last edited:
Yeah, when i said Impreza i did mean STI's, should have said.

As for the RS, ok it doesnt rape the RS but it cant keep up. Three reasons; i) 4wd vs FF, ii) weight, iii) power. I've read in magazines (not experience) that any RS focus that's been put on a dyno tends to produce nearer 280-285bhp.

At the end of the day, a lot of it is driver based. A decent driver in RS would beat 'below average' driver in STI.

Yeah, when i said Impreza i did mean STI's, should have said.

As for the RS, ok it doesnt rape the RS but it cant keep up. Three reasons; i) 4wd vs FF, ii) weight, iii) power. I've read in magazines (not experience) that any RS focus that's been put on a dyno tends to produce nearer 280-285bhp.

At the end of the day, a lot of it is driver based. A decent driver in RS would beat 'below average' driver in STI.

Fair play.

Actually that's kinda true about the RS but not really. There was an ECU issue with the earlier cars but was rectified with an update. Any decent RS that's been updated and run in is definitely putting out good figures.

4wd causes more drag mate. I would rather be in a well balanced fwd if the power output is equal. Remember the Focus RS has dual strut arms and LSD so it pulls pretty smoothly when in the right hands.

Neither of us can really say which is faster but I wouldn't necessarily put my money on an STI (if it were done properly on a track) :smile:

Fair play.

Actually that's kinda true about the RS but not really. There was an ECU issue with the earlier cars but was rectified with an update. Any decent RS that's been updated and run in is definitely putting out good figures.

4wd causes more drag mate. I would rather be in a well balanced fwd if the power output is equal. Remember the Focus RS has dual strut arms and LSD so it pulls pretty smoothly when in the right hands.

Neither of us can really say which is faster but I wouldn't necessarily put my money on an STI (if it were done properly on a track) :smile:

Didnt realise Ford found a problem and it had been sorted.

Plus i havent driven an RS but do love em! not sure which one id actually chose to own.

True mate, personal preference is a big factor :smile: