Big Bens non Clio

I’m not missing the revs Davinder. Once mapped I doubt I’ll give them a second thought!! £5k for a charger on my high miler didn’t add up

Dangerous game putting that much power into a high mileage engine...only way to do it comfortably is a complete strip down and rebuild.

Even then you're asking for trouble..it all points one way...:pav:

Little update:

Went to Beaniesport this morning. ABS light was on. Turns out it was an unrelated broken brake light switch! £12 from a local parts supplier bingo

Exhaust vibrates a bit. it’s probably the diffuser which I’ll sort at a later date as it’s intermittent and hard to trace.
Emissions light is on but that’s due to the smf I’ve fitted and will be mapped out Wednesday.

Have to say the job Chris has done is first class. Conversion has gone seamlessly and I’m pretty chuffed with the results.

My only concern now is wether to go for maximum power on the remap and risk upsetting the driving experience or stick to around 260bhp and have a very capable all rounder?

Food for thought

Only pic I took waitting for brake part
5CE2A7F1-6EEF-4D00-BA82-136A5ABA89D6.jpeg

Reactions: Jimmy and Beany
glad it didnt cost you too much :tearsofjoy:
im sure you should be absolutely safe with let's say 270ish mark Ben..that's what a 225 turbo is good for..have you upgraded your con rods too??that's a bit reassuring for me as i did..

glad it didnt cost you too much :tearsofjoy:
im sure you should be absolutely safe with let's say 270ish mark Ben..that's what a 225 turbo is good for..have you upgraded your con rods too??that's a bit reassuring for me as i did..
Not uprated the con rods mate. My issue is with the engine having too much power that the front wheels can’t cope!
At the minute the tyres are planted with no wheel spin and no torque steer making it very easy to drive. Add 50bhp and a big slug of torque and I don’t want to be sawing at the wheel trying to get the tyres to hook up.

Last edited:
Reactions: DS197
Get it set a comfortable BHP - then the beauty is the hard work is done and you can add a few mods to get a bit more power!

Reactions: Big Ben
Glad to hear apart from a couple of small but inevitable issues with so many parts being removed / replaced / swapped etc - life is good :smile:

All-day everyday driveability wins for me everytime Ben. The power is great and doesn't have to be used if it's there. But that's no good if that means torque-steer, wheel-spinning, over-powering components etc longer term. (And i'm not clued up enough to know what that means ref these cars or your car in particular.)

Take advice on the day, read up now and get it right on the day is all i can say.

Local guy to me dropped his off for the same conversion with Beanie-Sport last week. Might even have been following on from yours ?

All about the drivability Ben. My mate with the Glanza said they can easily push 280 and then become a total nightmare to live with. His is wound back to 235 and it's spot on, given how much it doesn't weigh.
I'd say 260 is plenty really, maybe Andy can give you some magical insight on Wednesday.

Good result with the brake light switch being an easy fix!

Exhaust rattles can be so frustrating, I've been through something similar with mine, they are a pig to track down! I really hope yours is a simple fix Ben.

I agree, go with manageable power - better to have the option to add more down the line, should you be so inclined?? Always have that option in reserve then.

Reactions: Pav and Big Ben
Thanks for the replies.

Interestingly Beanieniesport told me to go for 260 to make it perfect balance. He’s built quite a few now and is building plenty more!
Can always go for more in the future as said.

Main thing is that uprated injectors and big intercooler are installed for further power hikes if desired.

Will talk to Andy at ED and get his two Penney’s worth. Might see how powerful the engine is in stock trim and go from there.

Reactions: Pav and jamesgw200
Exhaust vibrates a bit. it’s probably the diffuser which I’ll sort at a later date as it’s intermittent and hard to trace.

Are you sure it's the exhaust and not the heat shield of the diffusor? Mine started to rattle @ ~3500 rpm and I had it taken out and replaced by some of this self-adhesive heat sheet/mat. Worked wonders!

Btw, I've got word that some people are actually driving without any heat protection at all and their diffusors didn't melt so far.

Are you sure it's the exhaust and not the heat shield of the diffusor? Mine started to rattle @ ~3500 rpm and I had it taken out and replaced by some of this self-adhesive heat sheet/mat. Worked wonders!

Btw, I've got word that some people are actually driving without any heat protection at all and their diffusors didn't melt so far.
Didn’t make it very clear did I:flushed:
I thought it was the exhaust but now I think it’s the diffuser. Hard to tell. It’s not massive but I know it’s there.

if your car makes 270 safe then go for it..i have exactly the same set up,as you know,and it's perfectly safe..the only time i get a wheel spin is when i floor it in 2nd and 3rd and when it's wet :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: