blue dials

ok. Bit of a dilema.

I like the blue temp gauge but also think the red gauge give breaks up the sea of blue. Car is alby and dont want to look like a dong obsessed with blue.

The indicators are red and shift light is super red (sorry not going to hold it on a redline for a pic lol)

Just looking for opinions and im keeping the change from blue to red as the red line is reached on 8. Just need to get the right mix of light filter and also need to dull down some of the lcd..

So just comments on temp & fuel gauge plz.

Needles will be white and background piano black and matt carbon. :smile:

Attachments

• 20120507_223816.jpg
    20120507_223816.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 168
  • 20120507_223850.jpg
    20120507_223850.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 140
  • 20120507_223958.jpg
    20120507_223958.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 20120507_223921.jpg
    20120507_223921.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Gave up on soldering smd and sent off. Just getting the light balance right and filter. Hopefully have shots of what im happy with end of the week.

We need to meet up... This is very very nice! How much did you do yourself?

Care to share how much it cost?

love both options look great.. i would love to change the Meg dials to Red or blue would look great.

good work Jason :thumbup1:

I've been looking for someone to do this to mine for ages.
Miss the old days of backlight ones where there was either a bulb or coloured material to replace.

All blue. Don't think the red gauge sits well. Love the colour change at 8k though.

Cheers. Think filters will work depending what colour people wants to achieve and could be cheaper than changing smds. Waiting for some filter ordered to come through to tone the lcd out..

Mike.. Can do.

Cost

60 wasted on smd and 1st set of dials and few bits.
55 on second set of dials & climate unit but still have these to go back on ebay
70-80 for sodering the last set. This included smd parts and labour.
10 on filters

Its been trial and error and as you know there are various rating of smd..im.no expert but for the agro of diy... Be happy when finished this weekend.

Bits i did. Initial soldering. Did not work out as you know. Strip to board level which most can do to get prof soldered. Trial and error on filters.

All in all. With the right kit, £25 max on parts you can do a full dash. I think fiters alone can give smilar results.. Can share when i get stuff ordered through.

That's awesome mate, but of a blow you had to go through the grief of making the mistakes (man I've been there!)

On the subject of soldering, I had to do some smd earlier and it got tedious VERY quickly so I'm going to invest in some even better kit.

Still need to get the scope up and running so i can get that rev beep mod done!

I'll leave the smd part numbers to you! :smile:

Now you are coming to FCS arent you...

impressive stuff :thumbup1:

quite like the blue with guages in red but i would leave indicators as green

Cheers but too late for indicators. I never noticed them in green.

The red shift light are great though and very bright.. Foxy, you are the man who knows a thing or two. How do you do a dash test going on a 197 please.

Nope cant make FCS.. Mate stag weekend.

Have you tried infrared sodering kits. Few on ebay. Nice spec but too cheap at 120 for hat they are.

Just wandering, would a signal relay linked to the smd work as the trigger and rest is getting the right feed to the buzzer. Bit primitive but so am i on electronics lol.

Think the buzzer gets it signal from the ecu for various warning..

PS was looking at head up display after a lift in my mates car. Do.you know the center console display you are working on. How cool would it be if you could get the display on the glass. Looking at the ebay kits for HUD kits its not far off the led type display you were looking at getting in the top center console

Few more bits

Attachments

• 20120516_234049.jpg
    20120516_234049.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 20120516_234119.jpg
    20120516_234119.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Cheers but too late for indicators. I never noticed them in green.

The red shift light are great though and very bright.. Foxy, you are the man who knows a thing or two. How do you do a dash test going on a 197 please.

if you mean like the dash clock test on the 182? as far as i know the 197/200 does not support the dash test system :worried: