BMW E46 330 to 197

Hi all,

First post of mine, however i found myself visiting this site regularly in the recent days, researching on likely 197 issues.

I currently have a 330 which i have just put up for sale, at which point i will be in a position to buy a 197.

I have owned a 172 cup and 182 previously, but what can i expect from a 197?

I realise they are thirstier than 1*2 (MPG sounds similar to the 330), gearboxes and steering racks can be a weak point - what else should i look for, i read today that all models dont come with Xenons, is that true?

I would also like to hear from anyone who has made the switch from E46 to 197 (whats good, whats not so good).

Hello mate.

You can probaly be expecting the 197 to be a little similar to the 182, just a bit more refined. Ive not driven one, just general opinion.

Gearboxes can be an issue yes, but not all that common... Steering racks? Not heard any problems, maybe the odd one. Mpg wise you can be expecting high 20s, low 30s, motorway leading into mid 30s, car dependant.

No, not all models come with xenons, its not a particuarlly common optional extra either.

I went from a 330 which was supercharged to a 197. Must admit, I really miss the all round ability of the E46 but the Clio is more fun. Running cost not that different. I never saw anything near high 20's more like 19-20mpg in 197. The gearing in the 197 are shocking on motorway. I had the car a year and still constantly thought I was in 5th when it's 6th gear. Tbh, the itch for a E46 M just won't go away.....so might have in for the summer. Winter, can't get over how poor BM is in the winter.

Similar Thread Suggestions