Both ball joints gone?

Not had chance to look into this on here, sorry

Just took my car into arnold clark due to knocking noises

Apparently both ball joints have completely gone, and one of the bushes is 'dry'

£700+ to replace both ball joints.. Got 3 month waranty, but this wont be covered will it? Cannot afford this :/

Help!!!

*clio 197 58reg

there are inner and outer (outer being track rod ends) on the steering

then there are the top and bottom swivel ball joints on the perfo-hub assembly

finally the lower wishbone ball joint

the lower wishbone also has a front and rear "bush"

3 month warranty - get it claimed on that - shouldnt sell you a "faulty" car - and sounds like an iffy mot test as well...

Thanks mate, thinking the exact same with the mot.. 'Apparently' they are 'completely gone' both sides..

So i should have a little to argue with, just worried that cause it is wear and tear they will be stubborn and say no!

Will find out which and try get part numbers, going to pick it up

Thanks mate, thinking the exact same with the mot.. 'Apparently' they are 'completely gone' both sides..

So i should have a little to argue with, just worried that cause it is wear and tear they will be stubborn and say no!

Will find out which and try get part numbers, going to pick it up

see if they were an "advisory" on the mot test - should come up on the vosa mot site

if not ask them why they sold you in effect an "unroadworthy" car :innocent: and thats why they gave you a 3 month warranty for this very reason!

Says here:

"Knocking coming from o/s and n/s front lower ball joints. Requires new"

And they couldnt check the bushes as they needed the mot ramp which was in use..

They said it should definitely be covered under the warranty..

Just checked MOT.. Was done 03/05/2013. No advisorys

When i picked it up they said 100% couldnt be done in a month

Hmm! Not happy about that!

Says here:

"Knocking coming from o/s and n/s front lower ball joints. Requires new"

And they couldnt check the bushes as they needed the mot ramp which was in use..

They said it should definitely be covered under the warranty..

Just checked MOT.. Was done 03/05/2013. No advisorys

When i picked it up they said 100% couldnt be done in a month

Hmm! Not happy about that!

iffy mot then - they cant just wear out in a month and half :whatever:

while they are doing it get them to have a closer look just in case!

be worth having the brakes stripped cleaned etc as well

Thanks for the help mate!!

Hi mate, unfortunately these cars aren't the best at preserving ball joints. So I've been told it's because of the complexity of the suspension arms upfront.

I've had my car 2 years and have had to replace both the near side upper and lower ball joints. Be careful not to ripped off though as the lower one DOES NOT require a whole assembly. You can ring R-Sport (trader on here) and they'll send you the joint, and the joint only.. it cost me about £60-70 if I remember and they were great to deal with.

Any decent fast fit centre should be able to fit it. I'd recommened a Hunter Wheel alignment afterwards too as it had caused uneven wear on my front tyres when it went.

Just to add.. When I picked my car up from Hardings in Hemel Hempstead.. Only a month after driving my car away I had to replace lower n/s ball joint, front tyres (they'd swapped a pair from another car for wheel preference and they turned out to be running low on tread in the inside) and pads.

Often enough driving away from a dealer isn't going to guarantee safety and peace of mind like you think.

Thanks alot for the info mate..

thing is, i wasnt informed that having the car checked over cost me £78..
i can get it back if the work is carried out through warranty..

im not overly fussed how much they re-fit aslong as its free, if it turns out that i have to pay for it.. Which wont happen easily.. Then ill accept ive lost £78 and get it done elsewhere to save money..

If they are to change anything ill make sure i get atleast pictures of whats been done.. And ill even get them to show me what was perished before work is done

Sounds like an arse mate plus you'll get it done a lot cheaper elsewhere with service just as good I should think.

I'd cut your losses with the £78, find exactly which joints have gone. Ring R-sport and get on the phone to some garages regarding fitting. Cost me only £50 in labour with a very good mechanic.