Brake fluid for the track

Got my first track day Saturday.. Do i need to change my original brake fluid? If so what type is best n were from?

Dot 5.1 is the stuff you want. Boiling the brake fluid will end your day very quickly as it won't come back to normal when it cools, it will still have a spongy feeling, and the brakes will need bled at the very least to help get any feel back.

Never ever mix dot 4 and dot 5.1 fluids. You will have to completely and I mean completely drain the system of one before putting the other in. These fluids do not mix and your brakes will not work properly.

Just to note Dot 5.1 fluid is silicone based and as such does not absorb water leaving the risk of water pooling and freezing during winter (very rare). Dot 4 is based on glycol-ether which does absorb water hence the need to change it as it absorbs water over time lowering the boiling point. Ideally Dot 5.1 should only be put into a completely dry system and not a a replacement for Dot 4 as all dot 4 systems have moisture I. Them and dot 5.1 will not disperse this.

Have a look at Mogul RBF600, it's a dot 4 fluid that exceeds dot 5.1 temperature requirements.

Last edited:
I use ATE superblue, high boiling temp and fairly cheap but the big advantage is it's blue which makes bleeding so easy

Dot 5.1 is the stuff you want. Boiling the brake fluid will end your day very quickly as it won't come back to normal when it cools, it will still have a spongy feeling, and the brakes will need bled at the very least to help get any feel back.

Never ever mix dot 4 and dot 5.1 fluids. You will have to completely and I mean completely drain the system of one before putting the other in. These fluids do not mix and your brakes will not work properly.

Just to note Dot 5.1 fluid is silicone based and as such does not absorb water leaving the risk of water pooling and freezing during winter (very rare). Dot 4 is based on glycol-ether which does absorb water hence the need to change it as it absorbs water over time lowering the boiling point. Ideally Dot 5.1 should only be put into a completely dry system and not a a replacement for Dot 4 as all dot 4 systems have moisture I. Them and dot 5.1 will not disperse this.

Have a look at Mogul RBF600, it's a dot 4 fluid that exceeds dot 5.1 temperature requirements.

think you have your dots mixed up!!!

Ate superblue n rbf600 dot 4 n higher boiling point than 5.1, I've used both but as mentioned the superblue is blue so easier to bleed