Brakes stripped/cleaned/replaced today..

Gez

Moderator & South Wales Rep
Good evening everyone :smile:

Thought people might be interested in this as everyone reads the '12 month break clean' threads.

2012 Clio 200, owned from new. 25,000 miles.

Started having some vibration under braking recently, had new discs/pads/pins & fluid sitting in the house ready for when they were due a change in the future, just the 'future' came a little sooner than thought lol.

Anyway, vibration was doing my head in straight away, so i got in and tackled the brakes.

I can confirm that these brakes need a strip & clean every year! The mess they get in is crazy, pins came out after some patience with a punch tool, came out perfect, so they've been cleaned up and reused, I'll keep my others for another time. I think any longer (after 12 months) and I'd have needed to use my new pins I'd bought.

So, onto removing the pads. The inside pads also took some patience in removing, they were truly stuck to the piston in the caliper. Quick spray with some fluids and they came out.

AND the diagnosis to the vibration; Cracked/split pad!

657b61cf729b4004ae3e872951850126_zps0c44e0b2.jpg

rubbish picture taken off my iPhone. Doesn't show the full caption well. The pad was coming away from the backing of the pad

So, with that done, I have new OEM Brembo discs, Brembo pads, re-used original pins. Then brake fluid change done tomorrow when it stops raining again.

Gez

Yes, they've come back up brilliantly. Bit surprised the pads have gone already though

Should have tried for a warranty claim on those pads! I know they are wear and tear items but to crack like that isn't on!

Mine had hairline cracks in them Chris with about 70% worn. I put them back in once I had cleaned them up and then proceeded to do a track day. They were grumbling towards the end of the evening, so will be due a replacement before Nex outing. They were fine on track though the cracks I assume are where the pad have got very warm in the past. My original pads have done 3 track days and 23k miles so they have done remarkably well.

I'll upload the pictures of the pads all together, all has worn off is about 3-4mm?