Braking Fault / Stop Light

LiamRS197

Paid Member
Recently had a 'Braking Fault' message pop up alongside the stop light illuminating red. I can't really pinpoint the problem however having had a quick look online I've narrowed it down to a Faulty sensor of some description (possibly ABS Sensor?) as this seems fairly common. Has anybody had a similar issue or can offer any guidance? Many thanks.

I had the same recently and when the diagnostic reader was plugged in it said the fault related to the brake pedal switch. I also noticed it always seemed to happen when holding the car on the handbrake at downhill junctions etc so I cleaned the rear brakes and it hasn't done it for a month. I think I'll get the abs sensors cleaned up and replace the brake pedal switch just to be on the safe side.

Thanks guys, I'll have a check of the brake fluid level tomorrow as a preliminary measure. Would be nice if it was something as simple as that.

My concern would be - where did the fluid go? It's a sealed system, so if the level has dropped then the fluid must have leaked somewhere. Keep an eye on the level and check each caliper and line for signs of fluid - just to be safe.

My concern would be - where did the fluid go? It's a sealed system, so if the level has dropped then the fluid must have leaked somewhere. Keep an eye on the level and check each caliper and line for signs of fluid - just to be safe.

Thanks Chris, it did concern me a little but I just thought that fluid consumption was normal after an extended period of time as brake pads get lower etc. I'll be sure to have a look around just to check things over though :smile:

Thanks Chris, it did concern me a little but I just thought that fluid consumption was normal after an extended period of time as brake pads get lower etc. I'll be sure to have a look around just to check things over though :smile:

It does, but in the 15+ years I've been driving I've never had a set of pads that had worn enough to drop the fluid by a significant amount. Not worth the risk with brakes, best to take a look over them IMO.

Checked my brake fluid in light of this thread and found mine to be below minimum. Does anyone know what the car takes?

My brake fluid dropped and gave a warning due to a failing clutch slave cylinder. I would suggest you check the brake pads.