Brembo Caliper Help Required

LiamRS197

Paid Member
Hi Guys, I'm currently in the middle of stripping down and refurbishing a set of front calipers and could do with a bit of information and advice. Does anybody happen to know the size of compressor adapter needed to force the pistons out of the caliper? I'm thinking of replacing all of the seals, pins and bleed nipples etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

Another side note is that I am considering having the calipers powder coated, although not sure on how to cover up all of the orifices. Wondering if anybody has done this themselves.

Why you need to refurb em at all? What do you feel is wrong+ how many kms they have done already?

They are just a second set which I've purchased in case I may need to use them. Currently got a fluid leak (least that what it seems like) and last time I took the car to the garage to have my braided lines fitted the mechanic mentioned he couldn't undo the bleed nipples and didn't want to damage them. So I may need to use the new calipers once they are refurbished.

[MENTION=50319]Stephenvenning[/MENTION] is your man for refurb advice. As for the covering of the pistons/bleed nipples etc. you can use normal masking paper, just use plenty of it, although if you're having a bodyshop do the powdercoating then they'll do this for you.

@Stephenvenning is your man for refurb advice. As for the covering of the pistons/bleed nipples etc. you can use normal masking paper, just use plenty of it, although if you're having a bodyshop do the powdercoating then they'll do this for you.

Thanks for that, I did message [MENTION=50319]Stephenvenning[/MENTION] on Facebook although no reply as of yet. If masking tape will do the job then thats great :smile: just need to know about removing the pistons now then, what sized compressor adapter I need etc.

There isn't a size for an airline. I got an out bleed screw and drilled a hole through it. Then attached some hose to it and attached to a compressor. They shouldn't take much pressure to come out, I only use 50psi. Put a block of woof in between the pistons to stop them coming fully out. Then just use two large flat blade screwdrivers to pry out the pistons.

There isn't a size for an airline. I got an out bleed screw and drilled a hole through it. Then attached some hose to it and attached to a compressor. They shouldn't take much pressure to come out, I only use 50psi. Put a block of woof in between the pistons to stop them coming fully out. Then just use two large flat blade screwdrivers to pry out the pistons.

Are you able to send me a picture of the "bleed screw" or perhaps a link as I'm not 100% sure on what it is that you mean. And yeah I looked about using a piece of wood in between the pistons. Thanks for the advice.

Are you able to send me a picture of the "bleed screw" or perhaps a link as I'm not 100% sure on what it is that you mean. And yeah I looked about using a piece of wood in between the pistons. Thanks for the advice.

the bleed screw is the small screw that you undo for bleeding the brakes, it has a cap on it. Be aware the pistons will come out with some force too!

I refurbed mine myself (new seals etc), so may be able to help with any advice. Hardest part of my refurb was removing the multiple layers of paint already on them.

Last edited:
Just a bleed screw from the calliper. If your replacing them anyway just use an old one. If that fails just wrap some tape round the end of the airline to make a good seal.

I used a plastic cover off one of our soft drink bottles for the calipers. The masking tape won't do it if you're having them sandblasted before powdercoating like I did.

15092009779-1.jpg

25092009800.jpg

25092009802.jpg

I used a plastic cover off one of our soft drink bottles for the calipers. The masking tape won't do it if you're having them sandblasted before powdercoating like I did.

Was that used to cover up the pistons and dust seals [MENTION=58]Raptor6767[/MENTION] It's not a bad idea as I'm thinking of having them sandblasted and then powder coated.

Was that used to cover up the pistons and dust seals [MENTION=58]Raptor6767[/MENTION] It's not a bad idea as I'm thinking of having them sandblasted and then powder coated.
Yes, I used a cap off a Cedevita bottle if I remember correctly (that was back in 2009).