Buying an ex renaultsport demo car?

Okay looking at a used renaultsport 250 this week but its past is putting me off, the misses keeps telling me I'm being stupid. Read on!

Car is an 11 plate with 11,300 miles on the clock, has every option I wanted ( cup chassis, recaros, RS monitor, black 19s ) and is generally in very good condition. It's reasonably priced for the year/spec/mileage too.
When I spoke to the dealer they said the previous and only owner was renault UK on the logbook so I did some digging on the Internet with the reg and found two magazine reviews with the car in question being used, one as a long term test and the other as a track test. Dealer also told me it had done a renault customer trial day at a circuit.

So no doubt its had a hard 11k which is putting me off but the cars a very tidy example and a bit of a steal at the spec/price. It has 16 months warranty left on it and will come with a fresh safety check/service. Only marks on it are a rear kerbed wheel and wearing recaro bolster, both of which they will repair for me. Also been offered a very low apr finance deal and 6 months free tax ( kinda makes me wonder why they're trying so hard to shift it ).

So question is would you buy a car like this or find a cared for private sale and compromise on spec and pay more? Thanks.

If its been a test/press car, it will have had no expense spared on its upkeep.

I shouldn't think you will have any problems with it.

They are also run in correctly before been driven in anger!

Long termers are used as you would use it or anyone else for that matter so its not an issue imo nor is one that has been on track.

If you were to take it on track do you think it would put the next buyer off?

BTW jerno's look after them better than normal users imo as they are aware of letting it warm up first etc.

More likely the dealer has someone interested in a car most would never look at due to costs. If its a good deal you are happy with turn it into a steal and snap it up!

They are also run in correctly before been driven in anger!

Long termers are used as you would use it or anyone else for that matter so its not an issue imo nor is one that has been on track.

If you were to take it on track do you think it would put the next buyer off?

BTW jerno's look after them better than normal users imo as they are aware of letting it warm up first etc.

More likely the dealer has someone interested in a car most would never look at due to costs. If its a good deal you are happy with turn it into a steal and snap it up!

sort of my view on this as well :coffee:

Mine too. I think these cars like to be driven hard from day one. It wouldn't put me off

It's in Kent. Cheers for comments guys you put my mind at ease, which is just as well as I put a deposit on it Monday night lol :tongueout:

Lol. Well congrats Ben. Its been on the cards in a while.

Glad to see you got the one you wanted.

Renault demo cars will be fine its when the garages have used them as demo/salesman's personal cars as IMO they are the ones who thrash them about none stop and from looking at a few of there cars always have some sort of issues.

FYI, the 225 K-tec had a couple of years ago was an Ex demo car. When they started modding it they found it had been mapped differently to standard so it was more powerful. You may well find similar has been done so you could be getting a faster one that standard for no extra.

Does it matted for the 1k a year you do anyway? :wink:

Danny I did wonder if they'd have some sort of secret mods to help praise them but I've driven it amongst many other 250s and 265s and they all felt the same to be honest.

No major plans for this one, just an exhaust, intercooler and remap. Getting out of the modifying game.

Last edited:
Congrats on the car mate, I love my mates 250 the acoustic engine not thing is brilliant and when the exhausts changed for a 3" it really wakens the car up and sounds as it should have done.

Danny I did wonder if they'd have some sort of secret mods to help praise them but I've driven it amongst many other 250s and 265s and they all felt the same to be honest.

No major plans for this one, just an exhaust, intercooler and remap. Getting out of the modifying game.

Thats what we all say :lol:

I owned #002 R27 which was an ex press car and has honestly faultless bar One engine mount..

Would have no issues owning another press car

Yea agree with what most people have said they will have been looked after better but they will have been thrashed harder for longer also. Should have no problems though. Congrats.

Similar Thread Suggestions