Clio 197 - Changes of Gearbox failure?

CallorFold

Platinum Member
Clio 197 - 2008 with under 60K on the clock -

What are the chances of an issue presenting itself with the Gearbox if it's been ok for the first 60K? Should I expect to have to replace this within the next 10-20K miles etc?

The car seems to drive OK at the moment, no noticeable crunches between gears. I plan to change the Gearbox oil to Redline MTL 75w-80 GL4 as per the recommendations from the Gearbox failure thread.

Is there any "test" I can do to check the gearbox - shifting from 5th to 3rd etc.? Shifting between gears at specific RPM?

Presumably it's a fairly obvious crunching sound when there's an issue?

A high rev gear change between 2nd and 3rd pr 3rd and 4th an you'll know. You can't miss it. (If you change gears really slowly at this RPM it's not noticable haha..)

Mine has a crunch in 4th generally going down the box quickly but sometimes up, as said only at high revs and quick changes though. 07 reg with 45k on the clock

Thanks Deaks for the speedy response.

I'll assume it is ok then, for now. Any chances of it imminently failing in the next 10-20K miles? I know it's impossible to "predict" - but of the ClioSports that don't fail early on in life, do they generally "survive" to 100K+? or do they all fall to bits at some point?

It's luck of the draw mate, mine is 36k and it's slowly on its way out but im not worried to much at the moment. Im just mindful of how quickly i change gear at high revs. (Only noticed in the last 2k miles).

You cannot predict when they go... Ive seen threads of peoples going within the first 10-20k...

It could start crunching tomorrow. If you go in the gearbox thread, you'll see that most peoples are fine.

Thanks Chris, I've had a good read through a decent amount of pages on that thread. General advice is to get the Oil changed which I think will be top of my list :smile:

can recommend the redline brand stuff myself..contact [MENTION=205]oilman[/MENTION]..he is the man to get in touch with..

Mine is at 65k and shows no signs of failing, all gear changes are smooth (touch wood).

Probably bet to change the oil etc too though as extra piece of mind.

Mine went at 60k.

Definitely not what I was hoping to hear haha! Looking back through old threads etc. it looks like Agency Transmissions will do a rebuilt for circa £300? and they're fairly local to me should the worst happen.

From the main gearbox thread I've seen most people shelling out over 1K for Gearbox issues, is this necessary? Or is a rebuild for ~£300 a suitable fix? Pro's and Con's?

A gearbox can go at any time so it's impossible to predict. If you like the car and want one, don't ruin owning it by worrying about things that could possibly go wrong.

At that mileage I would be making sure the belts have been done and get the balljoints checked out etc.