CLIO 197 CUP - Project TF

So this weekend, I discovered a new job I hate doing on cars.

Removing sound deadening. Thankfully a heat gun and scraper has been enough to get this removed

C5BE799A-3C86-4543-9739-8F85A29ACB6F.jpeg

So as can be safely assumed from the above photo, I have been stripping the interior of the car ready for a cage to go in.

Nothing too much to write home about on this one but I do think it is the most boring / tedious job I’ve ever done on a car.

1801AF81-8FAA-489E-B178-ABEAD1048D2C.jpeg

BDDBBFCA-D204-4E55-B9F9-B1C3C05BE488.jpeg

Didn’t take too many photos along the way, as it’s relatively straight forward and if I’m being honest I had music on and completely zoned out when working ahah. For those interested albums played were - Currents by Tame Impala, Given Em Enough Rope by the Clash and the Bends by Radiohead; among a mix of random playlists.

Car will be cleaned further and painted with excess interior brackets removed as well.

I have also sold my old seat mounts and procured some pure direct fit floor mounts.

Also this weekend we played host to helping my mate fit lowered seat brackets on his TT Quattro Sport.

Which meant moving the Clio without a seat which was rather meme worthy. 3D5E8B4E-0F8D-43AC-9A43-F9702A9B70DB.jpeg

Anyway, for those that aren’t aware the TT Quattro Sport is quite an interesting car. It’s the only TT to have a “proper RS” chassis number. They’re rare little cars and came with factory Recaro Pole Positions as a an option; with these being colour matched to exterior paint colour of the car on the backs. (On a side note you can get poles in other mk1 TTs as part of Audi special order but it is extremely rare). And as it is a VAG car the seating position is naturally quite high.

53CB238D-E687-4DAD-AAEF-7E71A4EF2856.jpeg

Easy job to do in fairness. Just a faf when your friend’s stressing about damaging three grands worth of seat or however much they are.

All in all good weekend and the clio is going for a cage some point this week.

That is very true!
It’s not that difficult it’s just tedious and stinks. You could do it in an afternoon if the cars stripped.

any idea how heavy it is?

I'd be tempted to just go around the car with a hole cutter and remove the same weight of metal from random places around the car rather than spend those hours doing that :smiley:

Reactions: Tarticmonkey

I'd be tempted to just go around the car with a hole cutter and remove the same weight of metal from random places around the car rather than spend those hours doing that
@VeiRoNv2 removed something like 3kg of sound deadening and then a load of metal brackets for around a 6kg weight saving I believe.

You can do both though @jimmybell for even more weight savings (not my Clio but lots of metal holes cut to save weight). :thumb:

Attachments

• weight saving holes near rear window.jpg
    weight saving holes near rear window.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: VeiRoNv2

I'd be tempted to just go around the car with a hole cutter and remove the same weight of metal from random places around the car rather than spend those hours doing that :smiley:

Ive done it on mine and weighed it,almost 2.8 kg.

PXL-20230806-190908407.jpg

7E9DBC96-643A-488D-8D93-C6E202C8E7DD.jpeg

Colin Chapman would be proud. Started removing brackets that are no longer required thanks to the interior strip.

I think it will save around 3kg approximately.

Whilst not the largest weight reduction the goal is to help offset some weight of the cafe that is going in. Tight Yorkshire nature won’t spring for T45 over CDS for a trackday car so every little counts. (Watch this space for when the poly windows and boot appears)

I used one of these,makes it so much easier.

Thanks mate. I just got one delivered today ironically and now I’m tearing through it.

Reactions: Beany and VeiRoNv2
Good weight saving on those two bench reinforcement panels,almost a kilo just for them,will you paint it all afterwards or just leave as it is?

Reactions: Tarticmonkey
So just thought I would do a quick update here.

There no real work been done on the car since the track day other than stripping the interior and waiting for the cage.

The car is going off this weekend for said cage (touch wood). I will get a geo set up done on the car after the cage is in.

I've also booked another track day at Blyton. Not the best track in the world I have just driven but my friends have booked on already and I have just started a new job so don't really want to be booking mid week days off quite just yet. So being a relatively cheap weekend date had me hook line and sinker.

Going to be booking a Donny evening a session at some point too and need to get some days booked for the back end of the year as well !

Also need to figure out what I am going to be doing with the diff for the car as well. My gut feel is telling me to wait and keep the box closed until it starts crunching but my heart is telling me to send it.... decisions decisions.

In other news, I helped run my mates Mx5 testing this weekend too. He is going to be racing n track day trophy this year and has got me thinking I want to give this a go at some point too.

Se.jpg