Clio 197 - Loose Steering, Play in Center (Poss Steering Rack Issue)

luke197

Platinum Member
Hi Guys,

I've got a really annoying problem with my steering, it seems very vague and light. When I'm driving along it also has this odd feeling that its wiggling around and I can move the steering when in both directions slightly and no movement is translated to the wheels.

From reading through all the steering related threads I can unfortunately see what I think the outcome is going to be (New Steering Rack), but I thought id see if anyone else might of had the same issue or any infomation on what to test first. I really only drive the car occasionally so up for doing the work myself, so any help would be great. Ive looked at both track rod ends and they are not great but a far from knackered still quite tight to move around.

Cheers Luke

I had a similar sort of issue with steering. It didnt feel normal. I replaced track rod ends and it was fine after that. Hardmto say if it was the same symptons as you though.

Thanks Chris, I'm going to get the wheels of it tomorrow and check the joints and see what I can do. I guess the choice is try new track rod ends at around £100 or get the newer faster rack with them on for £300.

Just get the car in the air and see if there is play moving the wheel side to side.

As I said, hard to say with steering, cos its what your used to and you know when something is very slightly off, it sorted mine out.

Hi Guys,

I've got a really annoying problem with my steering, it seems very vague and light. When I'm driving along it also has this odd feeling that its wiggling around and I can move the steering when in both directions slightly and no movement is translated to the wheels.

From reading through all the steering related threads I can unfortunately see what I think the outcome is going to be (New Steering Rack), but I thought id see if anyone else might of had the same issue or any infomation on what to test first. I really only drive the car occasionally so up for doing the work myself, so any help would be great. Ive looked at both track rod ends and they are not great but a far from knackered still quite tight to move around.

Cheers Luke

i had the same problem on my clio 200cup, when it was new, it turned out to be a play in the bottom u joint in the cabin, at your feet. try to check this out, before you buy yourself a new rack.

I checked the u joint yesterday and its all tightened up. Did you take yours apart or was the bolt just loose mate?

mine was replaced under warranty due to the excessive play in it, they didnt just tighten it up.