Clio 197 Track Build

Lowering the column - It takes a fair pull on the column to get the brackets over the front location pegs. We used m8 penny washers, just enough to allow the column to go back over the location pegs (hope that make sense).

Lowering the column - It takes a fair pull on the column to get the brackets over the front location pegs. We used m8 penny washers, just enough to allow the column to go back over the location pegs (hope that make sense).

Hey Paul, Thanks for the heads up, makes perfect sense :smile:

Hi @krash67

I used the Renault CLIP interface and associated software to remove the relevant airbags from the car, or tell it that they werent present so that it doesnt look for them. There doesnt appear to be a way to remove the airbag ECU from the system totally, however i did get to the stage where I was able to remove the connector loom going to the rear of the car, and then tuck the ECU up and out of the way behind the dash.

Happy to help you do this if you like, depending on where you are!

I'm in lincolnshire, is that too far away? thanks for what you've supplied already. Is there any chance of screen shooting the pages to show where you did the reconfiguration to ignore . Or anything that may put us on the right line. About to order a Pclip and buy a cheap laptop off ebay....thats if your too far away.

Thats a bit far mate... :smile: I'm in Sussex!

Once you have CLIP installed, plug it into the ODB port, and scan the computers. The airbags should all be in there "fault" condition before you do this (no resistors connected etc), and you should see under the status section what is wrong. You can then enter the diagnostic mode, and see the required status of each airbag. On the left there is an icon you can click to reconfigure these requirements, which is fairly straightforward, then validate and accept, restart the car and bingo. If you get stuck let me know and I can talk you through it. Next time I have CLIP attached I will try and do a guide of some sort.

As promised - we weighed items as they came out of the car. As follows:

Misc Plastic6.6kg
Carpet & Mats7.6kg
Seatbelts & Intertia Reels6.6kg
Roofliner1.4kg
Side Curtain Airbags2.0kg
ISOfix Bar2.4kg
Foam & Sound Proofing7.8kg
Misc Tar4.3kg
Toolkit0.5kg
Parcel Shelf0.4kg
Rear Bench Seat4.6kg
Rear Bench Backrest13.7kg
Passenger Seat21.9kg
Drivers Seat24.6kg

Total Weight Removed - 104.4 kg

Last edited:
i also would like to remove the air bag light! i have a safety devices bolt in cage and the same seats as you, ive still got to remove the cage and paint inside how come you havent removed none of the unwanted brackets in the rear?

Thats a bit far mate... :smile: I'm in Sussex!

Once you have CLIP installed, plug it into the ODB port, and scan the computers. The airbags should all be in there "fault" condition before you do this (no resistors connected etc), and you should see under the status section what is wrong. You can then enter the diagnostic mode, and see the required status of each airbag. On the left there is an icon you can click to reconfigure these requirements, which is fairly straightforward, then validate and accept, restart the car and bingo. If you get stuck let me know and I can talk you through it. Next time I have CLIP attached I will try and do a guide of some sort.

cheers, clip hopefully turning up tomorrow and will go over it at the weekend. I'll pm you if i get stuck.

i also would like to remove the air bag light! i have a safety devices bolt in cage and the same seats as you, ive still got to remove the cage and paint inside how come you havent removed none of the unwanted brackets in the rear?

I thought about it, but then decided against it as I don't have a method of neatly cutting them out, and for the weight saved vs work done I don't think it's worth it? May do in the future.

ps I regularly go to both Thetford and Dereham, that's quite local to you so could tie up and sort your airbags, or meet you halfway :smile:

Update 16-06-16

So the car was dropped off at the garage to get the gearbox fitted last Friday, and the cage fitted at the same time. Due back tomorrow so will post some pictures once its back! In the meantime, here is one of her waiting patiently for some surgery.... :smile:

IMG_4184.jpg

Today some more goodies turned up: AST5100 kit with adjustable top mounts... Can't wait to get these bad boys fitted!!

IMG_4202.jpg

IMG_4204.jpg

So the car came back from the workshop last week, cage was fitted but they made a right mess of the interior paint! note to self... wait until the cage is in before painting!!!

New gearbox is also in with the quaife and now the car drives a lot better - the old one was whining a lot which i never noticed until now - it seems a lot quieter from the gearbox area :smile: all good. As a point to note, the clutch that came out was split and the friction material was pulling away from the plate, so that wouldn't have been helping. The clutch wasn't that old either looking at the date stamp. Shame I didn't get a pic...

Anyhoo - cage pics:

IMG_4270.jpg

IMG_4271.jpg

IMG_4272.jpg

My mum could weld better than this..... :scared:

IMG_4273.jpg

IMG_4274.jpg

Last edited:
Top Mounts in situ - not too happy with the way these sit, seems to be very difficult to access the adjustment bolts... have to think on this. Anybody with any experience of ASTs care to comment?

IMG_4279.jpg

Lastly starting to collect bits for a brake overhaul.

MTEC hook pattern brakes front and rear:

IMG_4276.jpg

New calipers as the old ones are SHOT!

420e6a86-9db6-4dc8-be6a-4e4f0b73f805.jpg

Also ordered the following bits and pieces, will update once delivered:

Ferodo DS1.11 front pads
Ferodo DS2500 rear pads
Goodridge Braided Lines
ATE Superblue fluid

Should see me well on the track hopefully!

[MENTION=2045]Yiannis197[/MENTION] has the AST suspension kit..may be able to help..also love the new calipers..where did you get them from mate and how much were they??could you choose colour too?
thanks