Clio 197 water in footwell

Hello all,

I’ve recently had issues with my hazard lights flashing and found that the scuttle tray drainage holes were blocked, causing it to be completely flooded and drain into the passenger footwell.

I’ve checked over the multi connector and it looks like one of the pins had some erosion and is no longer on the male connector, but got stuck in the female connection side and melted the plastic around it. Basically now both sides are knackered.

I’m guessing my best option is to get replacement green connectors and re-wire? If so, do you know where I can get the connectors from?

It’s the wire into 64C that’s broken and also notice the immobiliser wiring had corroded as that had come out too.

7A8D76EF-8DE0-48F4-A7D7-0FBE492F8CA3.jpeg

any help or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks
Ryan

I had to sort something like this a while ago, Turkie posted loads of information here on pins, connectors, wiring diagrams etc. that helped me out

From memory i didn’t replace the whole connector block but just replaced the pins.

Reactions: Ryan12
I had to sort something like this a while ago, Turkie posted loads of information here on pins, connectors, wiring diagrams etc. that helped me out

From memory i didn’t replace the whole connector block but just replaced the pins.
Thanks mate, I’m hoping I can do the same then. The pin has melted inside the female connected so I’ll try to salvage it.

Spent about 2 hours last night in search for the green connector incase it isn’t and I need to swap it out, but I can’t find one anywhere lol

Reactions: EthanMenace
Yeah I couldn’t see anything after a quick google, I guess worst case speak to a breaker and see if they can cut some connectors out for you

Reactions: Ryan12
Turns out both of the connector ends for that wire are completely cooked.

Can I line them up into one of the spare holes in each connector instead for the short term?

Or just connect both ends and cover with some shrink tubing, outside of that housing unit?

I’m in need of a quick win until I can get hold of the connectors and re-wire it

As in both male and female pins for one of the wires are broken off? If you have no other transport then yeah i’d just splice them together and wrap them up till you can fix it asap.

If you mean the plastic connectors aren’t holding the pins properly then just swapping both male and female pins to an unused hole should be fine. I’d just make a note of where you’ve moved it in case you need to come back to it in the future!

It’s the male pin that has broken off, but it’s melted into the female end.

In the male end, the metal clip on the wire has also melted, so both sides are blocked.

I can free the wires from either end, so I’ll need to get a new male pin and look to use an empty slot I think. I’ll make sure to make a note of where I moved it too, good call.

Now I need to find the right male pin!

Sorry if my terminology is a bit crappy lol

Reactions: EthanMenace
A cheap option to fix it yourself and "do a proper job" - buy a new female & male plug (with pins) and just re-wire it yourself. Something like this would be suitable;

1716231074420.png

Probably take you an hour at most and would be as close to factory. Above for illustration purposes, I'd personally look for water-tight set of plugs to avoid this issue from reoccurring. Description was something like "20 Pin/Way Molex MX150 Motorcycle Automotive Male Female Connector Plug Kit" if it helps!

A cheap option to fix it yourself and "do a proper job" - buy a new female & male plug (with pins) and just re-wire it yourself. Something like this would be suitable;

View attachment 157531

Probably take you an hour at most and would be as close to factory. Above for illustration purposes, I'd personally look for water-tight set of plugs to avoid this issue from reoccurring. Description was something like "20 Pin/Way Molex MX150 Motorcycle Automotive Male Female Connector Plug Kit" if it helps!

Only annoying this is that green connector is part of a block of 3 or 4 others that clip together, obviously functionally something like the above would be fine (or better being waterproof!) just wouldn’t look OEM

IMG_6953.jpeg

Reactions: Frank Perry
Thanks Frank, I think it’s worthwhile me doing that as I imagine I’ll have more issues with it down the line.

Honestly couldn’t believe that I’ve not been able to find the same green attachment so I could keep it all in the same housing unit.

Waterproof will be the way to go for sure! Hopefully I can find something and get it delivered before the weekend!

Appreciate the help from you both

All Clio mk3 197 have the same wiring the 200 version use different looms but get the loom from another model of the similar years to yours you can get the plastic connector housings from the part number you can work out pin requirements

Thanks @turkie172 I had a look for looms on eBay and they are pretty expensive as it includes everything.

Yesterday I managed to splice the wires together put a new battery in and the hazards wernt flashing for a while, so I thought it was fixed! However at 4am this morning they were flashing again!

I can stop them by removing the fuse behind the dashboard but then there is no power at all to the car. A few dash lights stay on for a little bit, but I can’t do anything else with the car power wise.

The lights flash’s as if power cuts in an out rapidly and then can flash like normal and then stop, then back to cutting in and out again.

I sent the UCH to Reman who said they could look at that to rule it out, but then called me to say they don’t have the tools to test it as it’s a keyless fob
Any other suggestions?

Look the car has water damage to the electrics best bet is to undo the seats lift the carpet and foam to dry out and check/ clean the connectors but for water to get from the scuttle into the car by 2 routes.
1. the heater intake vents
1716657255060.png

2. the scuttle bulkhead where the loom comes through
1716657884522.png

there is no magic bullet or free option the UCH (BCM) controls the lights etc. and tells the UPC (power switching unit to turn circuits on and off) they could have checked for water damage without function testing and the only thing they had to do is plug it into a dummy loom setup and wait for the lights to flash.

First make sure your emergency key can unlock the door manually then you can leave the car with the battery disconnected that will solve the 4am problem.

Logic would suggest unplugging the UCH then check if the hazard lights still work if they do with the battery connected leave the car and see if the problem happens overnight that will help narrow down the problem that the UCH is damaged or is getting false signals from something else.

Reactions: Ryan12 and Sean197