clio 200, actually 200bhp?

Yo guys,

just a question, ive been reading online that when some clio 200/197's have been dyno'd there producing closer to 180bhp not 200? is this true?

if so bit of a disappointment.

cheers

Yep that’s right, they are around 180BHP – 185BHP at the wheels

The cars are measured in PSI though, so the 197 is around 192bhp but yes at the wheels they are under the quoted figures but I cant say I notice, still quick enough to get my self in trouble.

Last edited:
As was said the 197 for example is 197psi, which is actually 194bhp. Most cars bhp is actually measured at the flywheel, think a v healthy one will be around 190-192bhp realistically. Probably around the same figured for the 200.

so its about 190 at the flywheel?

which means it going to lose between 10 and 20% power through the drivetrain so it could be down as low as 170bhp at the wheels then?

Harleybarley, i dynoed my car stock at 160HP at the wheels. After decat and filter it was 166HP at the wheels.

Hope it helps. Lose about 20% power from engine to wheel, thats why people mod for lightened flywheels, light wheels (ultraleggas) etc to lessen the power loss.

Harleybarley, i dynoed my car stock at 160HP at the wheels. After decat and filter it was 166HP at the wheels.

Hope it helps. Lose about 20% power from engine to wheel, thats why people mod for lightened flywheels, light wheels (ultraleggas) etc to lessen the power loss.

so yours has lost about 15% throught the drivetrain then, jeez.

yeah i can see why lightened flywheels and wheels can help. my only issue with a lighter flywheel is that the car wont hold any revs on the overrun.

understanding the lighter wheels too, reduce the rolling resistance and unsprung weight.

you could go as far as gun-drilling the driveshafts too, but this could cause them to twist when power is applied.

im guessing measuring power at the flywheel would be the same with pretty much all cars though...

And as was also said this goes for every car. so the megane 230 will be at the flywheel and wont actually achieve this power, so all cars are in the same position.

My first 197 was 211 at the wheels after spending some time and money with Ktec.
But a standard 200 will lap almost as fast as the new Focus with about 300? on a short twisty track.The power is ok for drag racing or tracks with big straights.So its not just about power its the chassis and aero-dynamics as well,and most will say the Clio has one of the best chassis .

Last edited:
My first 197 was 211 at the wheels of spending some time and money with Ktec.
But a standard 200 will lap almost as fast as the new Focus with about 300? on a short twisty track.The power is ok for drag racing or tracks with big straights.So its not just about power its the chassis and aero-dynamics as well,and most will say the Clio has one of the best chassis .

I don't know where you dynoed it but 211 at the wheels?? No way mate unless you fit turbo or nitro you won't get these numbers...You are talking about 245 bhp (flywheel),impossible..

I don't know where you dynoed it but 211 at the wheels?? No way mate unless you fit turbo or nitro you won't get these numbers...You are talking about 245 bhp (flywheel),impossible..

Yeah that's never gonna happen unless you've got some serious hardware i.e different ECU, decat, uprated cam's, throttle bodies and a big arse airbox lol

An early 2000's Honda Civic Type R (UKDM) is quoted as 197BHP at the flywheel... Something to bear in mind as a comparison. As already said, every car will lose power through the transmission, FWD will generally lose less than RWD or 4WD though as they tend to have more mechanical parts to sap the power. I don't think it means much anyway, you can have the best engine in the world but stick it in a **** chassis and you're back to square one.

Maybe I'm biased, but as NA cars go, anything around 100BHP/Litre is impressive. Ten or fifteen years ago that would have been an impressive figure for a highly tuned NA engine let alone a standard one.

It was 211 , New ecu,cams changed,decat,new exhaust,new throtle bodies,battery in the back to make way for the v6 airbox etc,etc.
I'd be looking for over 250 at the wheels if I went down the turbo route.
BTW if any of you want a dyno test we can do it for you here.

It was 211 , New ecu,cams changed,decat,new exhaust,new throtle bodies,battery in the back to make way for the v6 airbox etc,etc.
I'd be looking for over 250 at the wheels if I went down the turbo route.
BTW if any of you want a dyno test we can do it for you here.

Still sounds crazy but i'm not here to :argue:..

Great work :thumbsup: