clio 200, actually 200bhp?

Ah good stuff!!! :smile:

You'll have to report back, be interesting to see if there's any difference!!!

But a standard 200 will lap almost as fast as the new Focus with about 300? on a short twisty track.The power is ok for drag racing or tracks with big straights.So its not just about power its the chassis and aero-dynamics as well,and most will say the Clio has one of the best chassis .

Which is exactly what its all about :smile:

Big power is for numptys wanting to run faster quaters and brag in the pub at what point they reach 60.

Point-to-point speed is far better (and exciting) than outright straight line speed. Any pillock can plod the go pedal and go through the gears, having the balls to keep that speed through the bends is the real reward :smile:

Take an entry level Caterham Superlite which only has a 1.6 with 150bhp, yet its built to go round bends and throws out nearly 300bhp/ton and will **** on things that are conciderably more expensive :smile:

Yup and to be fair. 197 and 200 are pretty much the same . So I'm sure that would keep with the big boys too.

We are off to Le mans on Saturday for the Moto Gp,going in my mates caterham,no roof so just as well the weathers looking good.
BTW my lapb best time at Snet in my old 197 was 1min.25sec. which was quicker than my Aprilia Mille at 1.27!!

Last edited:
Just goes to show you can get any figeur if you try enough or know how to use a dyno.I agree its all about the point to point times and having fun.
My first Clio was making nearer 190 at the wheels on 2 other dynos but on the 3rd it was 211 on 3 runs .

Last edited:
An early 2000's Honda Civic Type R (UKDM) is quoted as 197BHP at the flywheel... Something to bear in mind as a comparison. As already said, every car will lose power through the transmission, FWD will generally lose less than RWD or 4WD though as they tend to have more mechanical parts to sap the power. I don't think it means much anyway, you can have the best engine in the world but stick it in a **** chassis and you're back to square one.
Maybe I'm biased, but as NA cars go, anything around 100BHP/Litre is impressive. Ten or fifteen years ago that would have been an impressive figure for a highly tuned NA engine let alone a standard one.

*Ahem* Vauxhall *Ahem* :innocent:

For the benefit of the OP I believe that it takes the F4R a fair few miles to run in properly (I'm talking about 25k) to reach it's full potential.

It's already been proven that well maintained 197's produce much better figures after the miles have stacked up.

I think 197's being underpowered is just a myth really. Miles, long trips, 6k oil changes and V-Power turned my R27 into a weapon. I sold it at 36k for a 200 and by then it was like a bullet in a straight line!

If it was underpowered I would have not got the 200 and would have looked at something else :smile:

touched 27 k with mine now and it fells like its pulling stronger than when new definately so I second that.

For the benefit of the OP I believe that it takes the F4R a fair few miles to run in properly (I'm talking about 25k) to reach it's full potential.

It's already been proven that well maintained 197's produce much better figures after the miles have stacked up.

I think 197's being underpowered is just a myth really. Miles, long trips, 6k oil changes and V-Power turned my R27 into a weapon. I sold it at 36k for a 200 and by then it was like a bullet in a straight line!

If it was underpowered I would have not got the 200 and would have looked at something else :smile:

100% agree, there not underpowered at all! Think CS just say this coz they used to more rattles as the revs increase lol Refinement = slow lol! Before my engine blew it was on 47k and felt rapid!!

Having said that, my new one feels really strong!! Think the newer revised 197 engines are better, def sounds beefier than my last! Several people have noticed it. I know renault have made changes over the 1st batch of engines.

i also service every 3 - 6 k run on texco 99 or Vpower and the proof is in the pudding when u boot it. it really does go.

Got to agree with that, mine feels like its getting stronger and stronger all the time. (Just rolled past 6k)

My Volvo T5 took 15,000 miles before it felt like it started to breath properly, and my Yaris TS had pulled 50,000 miles and the engine was a total gem to drive.

I think the air and fuel temp has a big bearing on how the car feels. I drove mine the other day and the dash was reading 9 degrees outside. The car felt so quick it was unbeleivable! Sometimes it feels a bit slower. I'm going to start using premium unleaded instead of normal, I have noticed a difference. I put some normal unleaded back in yesterday after running nearly 2 tanks of premium and I wish I hadn't. Might try putting some injector cleaner through it every 10k miles too, don't know if it would make any difference?

Mike I was thinking the same ,my new engine feels a lot stronger low down than the old one .I've clocked up 2000 mile allready.

lol ive clocked up the same mileage as well mate! Being without it for 3 months took it toll lol! Your right tho low down feels so much better, passengers ive had in the car say they can notice it as well! Getting mine rolling roaded in august so ill be interested to find out what power its producing!