Clio or Megane

I have a dilemma I own a ultra red clio 197 and I do really like it but I done my first proper track day at brands hatch the other day and was lucky enough to drive the new Megane 265 cup and ever since then I have really thought about making the change over.

Pros

Would have an amazing car which would handle brilliantly

Cons

Would not be able to move out for 3 years rather than 2

Need help deciding...

Old git in me says that's no choice.

Car will seem important now but there'll be plenty more in the future. Don't prioritise money pits over essentials.

Old git alert over.

get yer ma and pa to buy to a 265 cup if you move out.

thread closed

Old git in me says that's no choice.

Car will seem important now but there'll be plenty more in the future. Don't prioritise money pits over essentials.

Old git alert over.

This.

Much cooler taking a bird back to your own place to **** her, although a 265 cup would come pretty high on the same list

Buying a megane isn't going to prevent you from moving out, it's merely delaying it. 2 years/3 years... Who cares?

Buy the car - it'll make you happy. Don't listen to the others, you won't 'always' be able to buy the car you want. Once you move out life will start clicking into place and hey presto you're married and have 3 kids!

I'm not saying don't ever move out, just enjoy living at home while you can.

Save for the house.

I've banned myself from modding the Clio until I've moved out. Hopefully by February/March I'll have enough for a deposit.

Always better to have a slower car yet the spare cash to enjoy it than a faster car just sat in the garage not moving.

Done the calculations a few times recently and to own stuff that would drag me from the Clio would likely mean no more track days.
But in your case having your own place should trump everything, the best thing I've done in the last 2 years was get my own place.

Moving out 4/5 years ago was the best/worst thing I've ever done. Financially it f*cked me, but I had no real choice, and I'd take living with the Mrs over a newer car any day (the car you have now is awesome).

My problem now is, I moved in to the wrong place, and have nowhere to store another car, so I'm back in the position where I can't afford a new place yet, but want a second car, if I get the car I can't afford to move, if I save to move I can't afford the car, such is life.

So, in short... Save up, move out, do it properly though, and make sure once you're in your new place you can afford the cars/things you want. :thumbsup:

Well that's a tricky one and is subject to the individual and their priorities. Everybody is different I suppose.

Speaking for myself, I don't own a property but that is because I live in London, I'm not willing to relocate but at the same time decent properties in the central start from £400k.

Saving for a deposit is possible of course but only if I change my lifestyle, which means no more traveling (loads of traveling), no partying, limited budget for hobbies etc. Car belongs to the third category and again I've always believed that someone should spend money with the car and not on the car, if they can do both or find a good compromise then even better! At the moment I can easily do all the mods I wish but that would mean no 12 day Alpine tour this year and no summer holidays. No thanks:wink:

Life is too short I'm afraid and I personally don't want to feel that I'm missing out just for the sake of buying a property or even a more expensive car. I wish I could afford the lot but I'm afraid I can't! So it's all about priorities:wink:

People's priorities are different and individuals' priorities change over time. Add into that we all might have different amounts of money (read disposable income) at any point.

My financial priorities are massively different now than they were 10 years ago. Do I regret some financial decisions I made earlier in life - yes. Would anything be different if I had my time over - definately not unless I knew what I know now, and that's impossible.

Keep the clio.

I know it's late in the day but I've just done a track day at spa in my new RS250 it's just stunning.The car is a joy to drive I did love my Clio But I would never go back buy a Meg and Love it