Clio -> Twingo

If you get over the rattles (every twingo seems to have one or two) and the upright sseating position,
they are great fun to drive, even when lacking the pace of a 200 you will get a decent smile on your face from a good backroad run. Long motorway runs arent its forte as the gearing puts it at 4k @ 80 mph and about 34-36mpg

I think mine surprised the 197s and 200s on Saturday at the Aberdeen meet... although it's by no means standard. At a decent pace, a standard one would still keep up but not as easily.

Theres several 133.net members who have gone from clios or megs to a Twingo ans some who have upsized for more space... Weebob springs to mind.

The most enjoyable car I've ever owned was a Mk5 Fiesta Zetec S. Yes they're getting a bit old now but they can be bought for peanuts and cost very little to run. Just an option.

I'd have another one tomorrow if I needed a cheap run around.

I had one of these too, great little cars! Had an Imp Blue mk5 and it was pretty mint. Sold it to a mate who then blew the engine and trashed the car :bat:

i tried this once went from a mint Rb 182 to a brand new twingo rs, They are great cars dont get me wrong but there was a BIG BUT. and i personally didnt think i saved much on fuel. had it 6 months and went back to a 182, so much more fun as well and fuel is roughly the same as a twingo on a 182

Really? What sort of MPG were you getting on the Twingo?

Diesel hatches are big no-no for me, I drive one of them 30k+ miles a year and it bores me. I need something that's at least a little bit of fun. The Twingo would actually leave me with more money to mod and track day it :smiley:

The Mrs will rule out a 172/182, and TBH the MPG isn't the only factor, Tax and Insurance will be similar with them compared to the 197 so doubt they'll make enough of a saving to be worth the effort/heartache of ditching the 197.

Selling your "known" hot hatch to buy an "unknown" warm hatch that is only being used as a weekend car doesn't seem like an ideal financial move to me.

Either keep yours, or buy something much cheaper that won't depreciate much in the time you have it.

The RS Clio's are fantastic cars but something has to give when you've got "life" bills coming your way. As fun and great to drive as they are, I wouldn't think twice about chopping it in if it's the difference between a new house, a wedding*, feeling financially secure and keeping up with mortgage repayments etc.

*Scratch that, a wedding would never get priority over a car with me.

Thanks for the input BenMC and Singlespeed, that's exactly the kind of stuff I'm wondering about (what niggles they have, what upkeep is needed, what MPG you ACTUALLY get).

I doubt I could have a standard one, normal seats after the Recaros would p*ss me off, so I think if I swapped they would be replaced with folding buckets. Also not a fan of 'dinis to be honest, the Twingo one is nicer than the Clio but I just can't stand the leather trim bits.

You might need it yourself yet Mike for the How Fast! if jamsport dont get a move on

Lol ill just spectate if its not! Going up for sale again so don't wanna risk anything happening. It's diesel time.

I dont do much town driving, or realy thrash it. Overall average was about 34 mpg compared to the 200 which I had for a day and got 28 from with similar driving. Post mods im down to 32mpg but still having fun. Mid 30s seem to be the forum average but 19 and 50 have been posted before now... it depends how you drive it.

If you went for a face lift model, the interior fabric is much nicer but there's a few with replacement seats now. RX8 buckets, 182 trophy recaros and a few others.

Mods are starting to get some choice now which has taken some time.

I think youve just joined up, so have a look at the thread posted in the introductions section son 133.net for the common faults etc

I had one of these too, great little cars! Had an Imp Blue mk5 and it was pretty mint. Sold it to a mate who then blew the engine and trashed the car :bat:

Really? What sort of MPG were you getting on the Twingo?

Diesel hatches are big no-no for me, I drive one of them 30k+ miles a year and it bores me. I need something that's at least a little bit of fun. The Twingo would actually leave me with more money to mod and track day it :smiley:

The Mrs will rule out a 172/182, and TBH the MPG isn't the only factor, Tax and Insurance will be similar with them compared to the 197 so doubt they'll make enough of a saving to be worth the effort/heartache of ditching the 197.

tbh your best bet is a 182/172 mikes is nice,
If you think about it a decent 182 can be had for 3-3500k while a decent twingo will be at least another 3-4k.

MPG wise i cant rember but wasnt far of a clio ph2 and played a big part in me swapping back.
Im not saying dont go for one but i just had a big but like said and just cant put my finger on it, they are great fun to drive and cheaper to insure and tax, but wouldnt you rather drive something that you were happy with. Oh and the dash of them are very hard plastic and you can see the MPH miles off

I've had my Gordini 133 for over a year now and its a cracking fun car to drive, easily keeps up with clios through the twistys as well :wink:

I just noticed today that K-tec are selling there Twingo RS Soon think its running 160bhp :smile:

I've had my Gordini 133 for over a year now and its a cracking fun car to drive, easily keeps up with clios through the twistys as well :wink:

I just noticed today that K-tec are selling there Twingo RS Soon think its running 160bhp :smile:

If the 133 can keep up with a 197 or 200 in the twistys then the Clio isn't trying or is broken. I've just traded my 133 in after a year of ownership and quite frankly the Clio trumps the 133 in all areas tbh.

It's a different league tbh.

Aw yeah i agree the 197/200 is a faster and better car.. not to mention far comfier but i was trying to say the 133 can keep up quite well with a clio or megane through country roads, they wont leave it for dead... unless there are some decent straights obviously haha

I've had both and found it is alot easier to "loose" the Clio when pushing and I feel the twingos better on the twisters but te Clio has that extra power to pull out of them and obvious is better in straights

I've had both and found it is alot easier to "loose" the Clio when pushing and I feel the twingos better on the twisters but te Clio has that extra power to pull out of them and obvious is better in straights

Thats what i meant :smile: