Clio + Wet = <3

Well as sad and lonely as i may sound, Saturday nights between the hours of 18:00 and 22:00 hours are quite possibly one of my favourite periods for "me" time.

Mainly because all the numbskulls are home from shopping, and now watching drivel on the telly or out "gttin waisted" and other associated incomprehensible activities that people post on their Facebook status's'sss's

As a result... the backroads become happily desolate :001_wub:

So today for the first time of me owning my Clio, weve had the rain slinging down quite heavily most of the afternoon, doing a grand job of washing all the surface ****e away and has kindly eased off to a drizzle this evening... how could i resist?

So jumped in and set a steady course to get the engine to temp and some heat in the brakes...

Happy with that i moved onto the more fun stuff, alas keeping the traction control on while im still on the learning curve, however this turned out to not dissapoint me...

What happened next was several miles of mind-****-adrenaline-surge :scared: these things continue to be utterly sublime even with the degraded levels of grip, and seem to go up a huge notch in the fun factor!

Granted i was going nowhere near as quick as i would in the dry, but some of my fave corners i wouldnt dare attempt at 40mph in some of my old RWDs cars and not expect to come out of them "a little bit" sideways or some other FWDs and just merrily understeer all over the place, the Clio just seemed to look back at me and say... "Yes? What was the problem with that one?" :biggrin:

OK, so i kept the TRC (or whatever Renault bother to call it) switched on, mainly because im not an expert race driver, but i think with it off it would of course become a great deal more of a handful for obvious reasons.

But Renault have to be comended that with it on (traction control) its still great, its the first time ive really felt it doing a serious amount of work, but its not trying to ruin the moment. More or less, it feels like its helping you, most likely coupled with fancy suspension gizmo's. Not once did i have a scary front or rear slidey moment... just several nice ones that made me do this > :biggrin:

Other cars ive had in the past have been massively intrusive when anything as far as 2degrees of wheel slip have come along and literally cut all power from the engine, while the Clio just seems to limit itself enough to keep you inline, and then goes back into Banshee mode as soon as possible 8)

Must admit im superbly impressed with the Conti3's. Im always more interested in a tyres wet weather performance, as its not hard to buy a dry weather tyre that is excellent, but to have one that covers both bases is an acheivement to me. And the Conti's have prooven themselves so far, still with masses of grip and plenty of info being fed back through the car on what they are up to.

Also, still masses of braking grip with them! OK i had the ABS having a look in much more often (still finding my footing with that) but stopping impressively and accurately when required... which brings me on nicely to the brakes themselves!

Get them to temp, and keep them at temp and they do not dissapoint! Without doubt one of the... if not THE finest brakes (especially OEM) setup i have ever owned.

Clio <3

To say im impressed with this car is a total understatement... wish id bought one years ago :wink:

Last edited:
Lol I can relate to that! Nothing better than a quick car on a quiet road! I have had plenty of fun in mine today so I can can understand what you mean! :biggrin:

Not quite sure what your equation is though lol

Awesome times mate. Love back roads so much, and the roads in the Highlands are just awesome for Clios! :smile:

If you like it in the wet on the road take it for a wet track day. TONS of laughs and really fun to push hard. It just goes and goes and goes. On a track you can safely turn the ASR/ESP, balance it much better with the gas and slide it all over the place. One word of warning - the safety controls keep you inline in terms of oversteer but push it just little too hard and it will go into an ugly, long understeer. My car carved neat tracks over the asphalt, over to the gravel then mud, missing a tyre wall by less than two inches :smile:

Our finally passed the magic marker (625 miles) on Friday and it is a totally different beast. Being allowed to rev it is superb.

Love it.

Well i must admit i was expecting to come back here and find several people to have slagged me off! (Due to previous existence on some other forums lol)

Nice to be amonst a car community that condone actual "enjoying driving" the car! :smiley:

Track day in the wet... i would absolutely love to 110%! Id really love to test mine and the cars abilites when seriously on the edge. Sadly the weather is the weather... :smiley:

Went to a track day at Bruntingthorpe some moons ago and there was 50/50 chance of it chucking it down, some of use were rooting for it! Didnt happen :worried: just stayed a bit gloomy all day.

You should have made your way up for the Swissvax day on Sat. The journey home certainly kept us awake; threading through the dry-stone walls, on the wet roads was very entertaining. I know some people dont like the Contis in the wet but I cannot fault them!

You should have made your way up for the Swissvax day on Sat. The journey home certainly kept us awake; threading through the dry-stone walls, on the wet roads was very entertaining. I know some people dont like the Contis in the wet but I cannot fault them!

That was for another forum though wasnt it? Hope i havent missed the one for this one as i intend to go to that :smiley:

That was for another forum though wasnt it? Hope i havent missed the one for this one as i intend to go to that :smiley:

I only found out about it through this site n there were a fair few 197.net members there too. The 197 day is not until May as it stands at the moment and I will quite probably be goin back up for that! Its an amazing company and great people.